PLEASE ADVISE: 10 Days Left...the final countdown...

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi there,

I have been studying for the GMAT for about two months now (on and off), strictly using Kaplan. Initially I used the Kaplan GMAT book, then I signed up and took the month long course.

As my test day approaches (about 10 days left), I got curiuos and looked on the net for other resources. Well, here I am ... and thanks to this great website and forum I found out that there are many other great resources for studying for the GMAT, such as the Official Guide and the GMATPrep software.

I have some questions and I would appreciate any feedback:

1. On the latest Kaplan CAT that I took, I got an overall score of 590 (previous scores 520, 540). Honestly I am frustrated with Kaplan at this point because I have studied hard but I feel that their scores do not show it. Are these scores realistic compared to the real GMAT? My goal is to get a 650 on the actual GMAT test. (I also feel that some of the quesitons on the Kaplan CAT are very hard and their explanations nonsense.)

2. Tomorrow I plan to take the first GMATPrep test since I read it provides better feedback on the actual score. Also, tomorrow I plan to go to a bookstore and get the GMAT Official Guide. Any suggestions on how I should spend these last 10 days as far as studying goes? I think I am ready to stop working with the never ending Kaplan study sessions and try something new.

3. And lastly, is it realistic to hope for a 100 point increase in these last 10 days if I study daily?

Many Thanks !
Taulant

p.s. I wanted to thank the creator and the supporters of this site for doing such a great job with information sharing

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by wunderkind » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:44 pm
It's too bad that you didn't find this site before you spent so much time on Kaplan! You are right, the tests are too hard and the scores are WAY off. A 590 on Kaplan is actually very good.

Put the Kaplan book down and walk away! Definitely get the Official Guide, and spend the rest of your time working on OG practice questions, and taking the GMATPrep test. Do not take another Kaplan test!!

Good luck!!!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

GMAT Prep Exams and OG

by NoGmatNoCry » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:47 pm
Thanks wunderkind,

I actually got the Official Guide and am working off of that for now. I took the GmatPrep exam1 and I actually did worse than in my Kaplan CATs. I read here that the GmatPrep should be easier than the Kaplan test and that it should provide the closest score so I am a little stressed out now since my test day is approaching.

I find the questions in the official guide to be different from what I leaned with Kaplan but not easier, am I unprepared or am I just freaking out for no reason... Anyone ???

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by wunderkind » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:50 pm
Unfortunately, you were working with questions that are not realistic. I'm sure that seeing remarkably different questions freaked you out a bit and hurt your confidence. The OG and especially GMATPrep (since it's newer) are far more representative of the real GMAT. Try to shake off the questions you did with Kaplan...start fresh with the OG.