Pennsylvania

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

Pennsylvania

by j_shreyans » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:23 pm
Competition in the mid nineteen century by large western farms gradually caused farmers in Pennsylvania to turn to livestock raising, but before it was predominantly grain-producing

A)Competition in the mid nineteen century by large western farms gradually caused farmers in Pennsylvania to turn to livestock raising, but before it was predominantly grain-producing

B)once predominantly a grain-producing state, competition in the mid nineteenth century from large western farms gradually was causing Pennsylvania's farmer to turn to live stock raising

C) Pennsylvania's farmers were gradually caused to turn to live stock raising by competition from large western farm in the mid-nineteenth century , but before that it was predominantly grain-producing state

D) it was once predominantly grain-producing, but competition in the mid-nineteenth century by large western farms was gradually causing Pennsylvania's farmers to turn to live stock raising.

E)Pennsylvania was once a predominantly grain-producing state, but competition in the mid-nineteenth century from large western farms gradually caused the state's farmers to turn to live stock raising

OAE

Guys ,

Can you pls explain each point .

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:00 am
j_shreyans wrote:Competition in the mid nineteen century by large western farms gradually caused farmers in Pennsylvania to turn to livestock raising, but before it was predominantly grain-producing

A)Competition in the mid nineteen century by large western farms gradually caused farmers in Pennsylvania to turn to livestock raising, but before it was predominantly grain-producing

B)once predominantly a grain-producing state, competition in the mid nineteenth century from large western farms gradually was causing Pennsylvania's farmer to turn to live stock raising

C) Pennsylvania's farmers were gradually caused to turn to live stock raising by competition from large western farm in the mid-nineteenth century , but before that it was predominantly grain-producing state

D) it was once predominantly grain-producing, but competition in the mid-nineteenth century by large western farms was gradually causing Pennsylvania's farmers to turn to live stock raising.

E)Pennsylvania was once a predominantly grain-producing state, but competition in the mid-nineteenth century from large western farms gradually caused the state's farmers to turn to live stock raising

OAE

Guys ,

Can you pls explain each point .
A: Competition caused farmers...but before it was predominantly grain-producing
D: it was once predominantly grain-producing, but competition...
In each case, it (subject pronoun) seems to refer to competition (subject of the other clause), implying that COMPETITION was predominantly grain-producing.
This meaning is nonsensical.
Eliminate A and D.

B: Once predominantly a grain-producing state, competition...
Here, once predominantly seems to modify competition, implying that COMPETITION was ONCE PREDOMINANTLY A GRAIN-PRODUCING STATE.
This meaning is nonsensical.
Eliminate B.

C: before that
Here, that lacks a clear antecedent.
Eliminate C.

The correct answer is E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by anant03 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:14 am
Hi Mitch ,

Can you please also advise the usage of POSSESSIVE in this question.

Also I have read 2 rules about POSSESSIVE in your post is that:

1) POSSESSIVE + GERUND + DIRECT OBJECT -- is not valid .

2) POSSESSIVE + GERUND + PREPOSITIONAL MODIFIER -- is valid

Are these two rules always right in GMAT?

Also please advise how will you co-relate these two rules with this question?

Please explain sir.

Thanks.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by anant03 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:48 am
Hi Mitch ,

Really need your explanation and also correct me if am wrong.

Please advise.

Thanks...