pen and paper in the gmat test

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:720

pen and paper in the gmat test

by n_niaz » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:03 pm
Hey guys,

I wanted to find out from those who have given the test, if it was any trouble getting writing paper or that erasable pad that they give you. I write a lot during the exam and just wanted to make sure that it won't be a problem.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

NIaz

by saege » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:18 pm
Hi niaz

The booklet should contain 6 pages double side. this was told to me by a recent test taker. but if you want a simulation of the book you could order it from :

https://www.manhattangmat.com/storeitems ... 31&catid=8

Or just visit the test center and check the stuff and make a replica and practice on it.
Best of luck bro.

2008 Beat The GMAT Scholarship Winner!

by orenbusuk » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:44 am
Nope...no problems at all writing on the pad. Mine was a little dirty and worn from use but noting major. I recommend getting a fresh pad every time theres a break (i.e. after the essays, and after the quant section)

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by JamesR404 » Sat May 01, 2010 7:00 am
Are you allowed to bring your own pen and paper? I prefer my own writing pad.

The tip to get a clean pad every time is smart, an empty paper allows for better focus than one jarred with scribblings from previous sections/questions.

But in that respect I prefer to bring my own pad with a whole stock of paper, and multiple pens, so I'll be prepared :)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:255 members
GMAT Score:750

by Brian@VeritasPrep » Mon May 03, 2010 11:24 am
Hi James,

They won't let you bring your own paper/pen - you're required to use the official, provided noteboard and pen. Some of this is for security - theoretically you could somehow include notes (invisible ink?) or something on your own pad, or tear off sheets to report back on questions to friends. Some of it is to further standardize the process for everyone so that there's no advantage or disadvantage for people due to "equipment" (those Ticonderoga pencils are a writer's dream!).

One piece of strategy that you may find helpful - if you don't write much on the pad during the essays, you may want to use some of that time to jot down notes/reminders to yourself so that you're more prepared for the quant section. If there are a few formulas you think you might forget, or reminders to yourself ("Don't assume that x is an integer!") that may prove helpful, it's not a bad idea to get them down on the noteboard before you start grinding on the math.
Brian Galvin
GMAT Instructor
Chief Academic Officer
Veritas Prep

Looking for GMAT practice questions? Try out the Veritas Prep Question Bank. Learn More.