00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Paul, a painter, paints only flowers or cats in his notebook. The pictures are drawn in either regular pencil or in charcoal (but not in both.) The total number of pictures in Paul's notebook is 39 greater than the number of cat pictures painted in pencil. How many flower pictures drawn in charcoal are there in the notebook?

1) There are 7 flower pictures drawn in pencil in the notebook.
2) There are 11 flower pictures drawn in charcoal in the notebook.

The OA is C

Source: Economist GMAT

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:28 am

Timer

00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

swerve wrote:Paul, a painter, paints only flowers or cats in his notebook. The pictures are drawn in either regular pencil or in charcoal (but not in both.) The total number of pictures in Paul's notebook is 39 greater than the number of cat pictures painted in pencil. How many flower pictures drawn in charcoal are there in the notebook?

1) There are 7 flower pictures drawn in pencil in the notebook.
2) There are 11 flower pictures drawn in charcoal in the notebook.

The OA is C

Source: Economist GMAT
Am I missing something? Statement 2 tells us the exact answer to the question.

I assume it means to ask how many *cat* pictures in charcoal there are. Since we know the 39 pictures mentioned in the stem consist precisely of flower-pencil, flower-charcoal, and cat-charcoal pictures, then once we know how many of the two flower pictures there are, the rest, or 39-7-11= 21, must be cat-charcoal pictures, and then the answer would be C. But as written the answer is an instant B.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com