parking lot

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

parking lot

by jessicamuniz » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:34 am
Hi everybody,
Here is a question....I am looking for some ideas...

The city council has announced that it will now increase the city revenue’s and thus improve the quality of life in the city. The plan is to enforce the parking regulations in the main square, and to use part of the revenue form the fines to construct a new municipal parking lot in which people can park without time limits of fees.

The city council’s plan rests in the assumption that
A. fines collected from illegal parking in the square will be sufficient to finance construction of the new lot.
B. The new municipal parking lot would cause an eventual loss of revenue for the city, since the city council does not plan to charge for its use
C. There is not legal parking available in the square
D. The revenue generated by the collection of the parking fines must be used to improved the quality of life in the city
E. The new municipal parking lot is the most effective use of the funds generated by the collecting of fines in the square

I go for C. Thanks in advance..

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by jimmiejaz » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:59 am
Is the answer E? If yes, will explain..

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

re: parking lot

by jessicamuniz » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:30 am
jimmiejaz wrote:Is the answer E? If yes, will explain..

Hi jimmiejaz,
I actually do not know the answers....but I was between C and E....
I am looking fordward your explanation. Thanks ;)

by jimmiejaz » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:46 am
I guess C says "There is no legal space available"
Now, as for the explanation, C doesnt say anything about the improvement in life of citizens. So, it doesnt cover full scope.
It can be one of the reasons but will not explain the situation fully.

Whereas E specifically tells how the life of the citizens will improve.

Hope it helps.

Followed by:1 members

by Mani_mba » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:59 am
I would choose A.

If fines collected from illegal parking in the square is not sufficient to finance construction of the new lot, then the plan will become unsuccessful and hence the conclusion(to improve the quality of life) that depends on this plan will become weakened.

Legendary Member
Followed by:11 members

by cramya » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:03 pm
I go for A too (since the council is assuming that a new parking lot can be built from just the fines)

I dont agree with E because nowhere the effectiveness of anythign is being discussed.

I could be way off here, wats the OA?

Please post OA's using spoiler function when posting the question if possible.

Legendary Member
Followed by:25 members
GMAT Score:730

Re: parking lot

by logitech » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:11 pm
The city council has announced that it will now increase the city revenue’s and thus improve the quality of life in the city. The plan is to enforce the parking regulations in the main square, and to use part of the revenue form the fines to construct a new municipal parking lot in which people can park without time limits of fees.

The city council’s plan rests in the assumption that

In other words, the city is assuming that they will generate SUFFICIENT revenue so that they can use PART of it to construct a new parking lot.

A. fines collected from illegal parking in the square will be sufficient to finance construction of the new lot.

YEAP! :)

B. The new municipal parking lot would cause an eventual loss of revenue for the city, since the city council does not plan to charge for its use

OUT OF SCOPE
C. There is not legal parking available in the square

OUT OF SCOPE, who cares! City will only care about bustards, who park illegal :)

D. The revenue generated by the collection of the parking fines must be used to improved the quality of life in the city

This is already stated so it can not be an assumption.

E. The new municipal parking lot is the most effective use of the funds generated by the collecting of fines in the square

MOST ? :D Out of Scope
LGTCH
---------------------
"DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR DREAM!"

by peter.p.81 » Wed May 11, 2016 3:10 am
I agree with you guys. I also think that the right answer is A.