Pam and Sue drove in the same car to a business meeting...

This topic has expert replies
Followed by:6 members
Pam and Sue drove in the same car to a business meeting that was 120 miles away. Pam drove to the meeting at 60 miles per hour and Sue drove back, along with the same route, at 50 miles per hour. How many more minutes did it take Sue to travel the distance than it took Pam?

A. 4
B. 10
C. 20
D. 24
E. 30

The OA is D.

I'm really confused by this PS question. Experts, any suggestion about how to solve it? Thanks in advance.

Can I say that,

Time taken by Palm = 120/60 =2 hrs.

Time taken by Sue =120/50= 2.4hrs.

Then, I can get the difference = 2.4-2 =0.4 hrs = 24 minutes, right?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:15 members
GMAT Score:770

by ErikaPrepScholar » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:34 am
This is the correct way to solve the problem - rearrange distance = rate*time to get time = distance/rate. Then solve for time for each woman, subtract to find the difference, then convert from hours to minutes.

Erika John - Content Manager/Lead Instructor
https://gmat.prepscholar.com/gmat/s/

Get tutoring from me or another PrepScholar GMAT expert: https://gmat.prepscholar.com/gmat/s/tutoring/

Learn about our exclusive savings for BTG members (up to 25% off) and our 5 day free trial

Check out our PrepScholar GMAT YouTube channel, and read our expert guides on the PrepScholar GMAT blog

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:22 members

by Jeff@TargetTestPrep » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:35 pm
LUANDATO wrote:Pam and Sue drove in the same car to a business meeting that was 120 miles away. Pam drove to the meeting at 60 miles per hour and Sue drove back, along with the same route, at 50 miles per hour. How many more minutes did it take Sue to travel the distance than it took Pam?

A. 4
B. 10
C. 20
D. 24
E. 30
It took Pam 120/60 = 2 hours to drive to the meeting

It took Sue 120/50 = 12/5 = 2 2/5 hours = 2 hours and 24 minutes to drive back from the meeting.

So it took Sue 24 more minutes to travel the distance than it took Pam.

Answer: D

Jeffrey Miller
Head of GMAT Instruction
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews