Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate back to health,the chief executive's plans were announced on Wednesday for cutting the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12billion in assets over the next 18 months.

A. executive's plans were announced on Wednesday for cutting the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12billion in assets over the next 18 months
B. executive's plans, which are to cut the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12 billion in assets over the next 18 months were announced on Wednesday.
C. executive's plans for cutting the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12 billion in assets over the next 18 months were announced on Wednesday.
D. executive announced plans Wednesday to cut the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12billion in assets over the next 18 months
E. executive announced plans Wednesday that are to cut the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12billion in assets over the next 18 months

OA: D

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:24 am
I got this one correct, BUT would seek couple of clarifications -

1. On GMAT, POSSESSIVE PRONOUNS (such as his,her,its,their etc.) can refer to a NOUN which is SUBJECT and NOT in POSSESSIVE CASE. Am I correct ?

However,On GMAT, any SUBJECT PRONOUNS (such as he/she/it/they etc) can't refer to any NOUN in POSSESSIVE CASE. Right ?

2. executive announced plans [ON] Wednesday -- Isn't the MISSING preposition ON making this sentence BIT AWKWARD ?

Can you please show any other official examples with such usage (re MISSING preposition before day) ?

@ Experts - could you please share your feedback ?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:45 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:I got this one correct, BUT would seek couple of clarifications -

1. On GMAT, POSSESSIVE PRONOUNS (such as his,her,its,their etc.) can refer to a NOUN which is SUBJECT and NOT in POSSESSIVE CASE. Am I correct ?
Correct.
SC127 in the OG13:
Joan of Arc turned the tide in HER country.
Here, her (possessive pronoun) serves to refer to Joan of Arc (subject).
However,On GMAT, any SUBJECT PRONOUNS (such as he/she/it/they etc) can't refer to any NOUN in POSSESSIVE CASE. Right ?
Correct.

A possessive pronoun may also serve to refer to another possessive.
SC90 in the OG13:
The results of the company's cost-cutting measures are evident in ITS profits.
Here, its (possessive pronoun) serves to refer to company's (another possessive).
2. executive announced plans [ON] Wednesday -- Isn't the MISSING preposition ON making this sentence BIT AWKWARD ?
The OA does not require a preposition before Wednesday.

Correct: The chief executive announced plans today.
Correct: The chief executive announced plans yesterday.
Correct: The chief executive announced plans Wednesday.
None of these sentences requires a preposition.
In each case, the modifier in red is an ADVERB serving to express WHEN the chief executive ANNOUNCED.
Can you please show any other official examples with such usage (re MISSING preposition before day) ?
Offhand, I cannot cite another official SC with this construction.
But this construction is quite common.
Consider the following examples:
I will see you Tuesday.
John left last Friday.
Mary will arrive next Monday.

None of these sentences requires a preposition.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:33 am
Just one quick question- on GMAT, are BOTH the following constructions considered Correct or ONLY the FIRST is Correct ?

The chief executive announced plans Wednesday.

The chief executive announced plans [ON] Wednesday

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:52 am
Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate back to health,the chief executive's plans were announced on Wednesday for cutting the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12 billion in assets over the next 18 months.

A executive's plans were announced on Wednesday for cutting the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12billion in assets over the next 18 months

B executive's plans, which are to cut the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12 billion in assets over the next 18 months were announced on Wednesday.

C executive's plans for cutting the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12 billion in assets over the next 18 months were announced on Wednesday.

D executive announced plans Wednesday to cut the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12billion in assets over the next 18 months

E executive announced plans Wednesday that are to cut the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12billion in assets over the next 18 months
Important: When a sentence begins with a with noun modifier (as it does in the above sentence), stop at the comma and ask the question that the modifier raises.

So, once we read, Outlining his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate back to health, we should stop and ask . . .

"Who outlined his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate back to health?"

If the sentence is properly constructed, the part that immediately follows the comma will answer that question in a logical manner.

Reading on we get...

A the executive's plans...
Wait! The executive's plans outlined his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate back to health?
Since this doesn't answer our question in a logical manner, eliminate A.

B the executive's plans...
Wait! The executive's plans outlined his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate back to health?
Since this doesn't answer our question in a logical manner, eliminate B.

C the executive's plans...
Since this doesn't answer our question in a logical manner, eliminate C.

D the executive...
Okay, The executive outlined his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate back to health. Makes sense. We'll keep D for now

E the executive...
Okay, The executive outlined his strategy for nursing the troubled conglomerate back to health. Makes sense. We'll keep E for now

We're left with D or E.

D) executive announced plans Wednesday to cut the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12billion in assets over the next 18 months
Looks good . . keep

E) executive announced plans Wednesday that are to cut the company's huge debt by selling nearly $12billion in assets over the next 18 months
This suggests that the plans will cut the debt, when it's the executive who will cut the debt.
Eliminate E.

Answer = D

Cheers,
Brent
Last edited by Brent@GMATPrepNow on Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:11 am
Hey Brent - thanks for pointing out the same. Generally I always use Spolier to hide the OA - NO CLUE how did I miss it this time! Really Sorry...

Btw,I see that the Spolier is already on the OA ...did you apply it ?
RBBmba@2014 wrote:Just one quick question- on GMAT, are BOTH the following constructions considered Correct or ONLY the FIRST is Correct ?

As I've mentioned earlier, I got this SC correct, but a clarification is required on the above aspect. Can you please shed light on it ?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:27 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:Hey Brent - thanks for pointing out the same. Generally I always use Spolier to hide the OA - NO CLUE how did I miss it this time! Really Sorry...

Btw,I see that the Spolier is already on the OA ...did you apply it ?
RBBmba@2014 wrote:Just one quick question- on GMAT, are BOTH the following constructions considered Correct or ONLY the FIRST is Correct ?

As I've mentioned earlier, I got this SC correct, but a clarification is required on the above aspect. Can you please shed light on it ?
My bad. I copied my answer from a different post. I've fixed in now.
I agree with Mitch (pretty safe bet :-)) I don't think "ON" is necessary here.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:10 am

Option 2: The chief executive announced plans on Wednesday to cut the company's huge debt.
Here, a reader might construe that on Wednesday is an adjective serving to modify plans, implying that PLANS ON WEDNESDAY are intended to cut the company's huge debt.
Not the intended meaning: the end of the sentence states that the plans will be implemented over the next 18 months.

OA: The chief executive announced plans Wednesday to cut the company's huge debt.
Here, it is crystal clear that Wednesday is an ADVERB serving to modifying announced, expressing WHEN the chief executive ANNOUNCED plans to cut the huge debt.
Thus, the wording in the OA is preferable.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:16 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:

Option 2: The chief executive announced plans on Wednesday to cut the company's huge debt.
Here, a reader might construe that on Wednesday is an adjective serving to modify plans, implying that PLANS ON WEDNESDAY are intended to cut the company's huge debt.
Not the intended meaning: the end of the sentence states that the plans will be implemented over the next 18 months.

OA: The chief executive announced plans Wednesday to cut the company's huge debt.
Here, it is crystal clear that Wednesday is an ADVERB serving to modifying announced, expressing WHEN the chief executive ANNOUNCED plans to cut the huge debt.
Thus, the wording in the OA is preferable.
So, does GMAT ALWAYS drop such preposition before DAY ? Can there be cases on GMAT, when it's not so (re preposition NOT dropped before DAY)... ?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:57 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:So, does GMAT ALWAYS drop such preposition before DAY ? Can there be cases on GMAT, when it's not so (re preposition NOT dropped before DAY)... ?
Offhand, I can't cite an OA with on + DAY OF THE WEEK, but this phrasing is not incorrect.
Do not consider on + DAY OF THE WEEK an error.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:45 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
RBBmba@2014 wrote:So, does GMAT ALWAYS drop such preposition before DAY ? Can there be cases on GMAT, when it's not so (re preposition NOT dropped before DAY)... ?
Offhand, I can't cite an OA with on + DAY OF THE WEEK, but this phrasing is not incorrect.
Do not consider on + DAY OF THE WEEK an error.
So, on + DAY OF THE WEEK and

(without ON) DAY OF THE WEEK - BOTH are CORRECT, although the latter is Slightly PREFERRED on GMAT. Right ?

And this usage is NOT a make or break criteria but RATHER based on the CONTEXT, we should focus on other ways of ELIMINATING/CHOOSING options. Am I Correct ?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:02 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:
So, on + DAY OF THE WEEK and

(without ON) DAY OF THE WEEK - BOTH are CORRECT, although the latter is Slightly PREFERRED on GMAT. Right ?

And this usage is NOT a make or break criteria but RATHER based on the CONTEXT, we should focus on other ways of ELIMINATING/CHOOSING options. Am I Correct ?
Looks good.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3