other vs another

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

other vs another

by aspirant2011 » Fri May 06, 2011 5:17 am
Sartre believed each individual is responsible to choose one course of action over another one, that it is the choice that gives value to the act, and that nothing that is not acted upon has value.

(A) each individual is responsible to choose one course of action over another one
(B) that each individual is responsible for choosing one course of action over another
(C) that each individual is responsible, choosing one course of action over another
(D) that each individual is responsible to choose one course of action over the other
(E) each individual is responsible for choosing one course of action over other ones

[spoiler]OA: will be discussed later. B vs D???? Which one is better and why????[/spoiler]

Legendary Member
Followed by:15 members

by AIM GMAT » Fri May 06, 2011 5:30 am
Choice between B and D .

Frankly speaking i would have choosen D on test day .

BUt answer has to be B -
1] "responsible for " is idiomatically correct over "responsible to"
2] "another" is better than "other"

OTHER can be used when two entities are discussed and ANOTHER when more than 2 are involved .
Thanks & Regards,
AIM GMAT

Legendary Member

by aspirant2011 » Fri May 06, 2011 5:33 am
Hi AIMGMAT,

Yup I also went with D because I felt that the use of "the other" is correct :-(..............in the sentence I couldn't find that there are many options and therefore, didn't go with option B :-(

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Fri May 06, 2011 6:16 am
IDIOMS make me crazy.

:shock:
Regards,

Pranay

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:45 members
GMAT Score:760

by Jim@Grockit » Sun May 08, 2011 9:49 am
AIM GMAT wrote:Choice between B and D .

BUt answer has to be B -

OTHER can be used when two entities are discussed and ANOTHER when more than 2 are involved .
To be clearer: THE OTHER specifies the alternative; it is THE that makes it the only alternative option, not the word OTHER. With ANOTHER (a contraction of AN OTHER) you are not limited to a single alternative. You can say I would like another piece of pie or I would like the other piece of pie, though, when you have had one and there is only one piece remaining (a single alternative).

SOME OTHER is used when you mean an alternative beyond the one or ones presently being considered.

Legendary Member

by aspirant2011 » Sun May 08, 2011 9:51 am
thanks a lot Jim for sharing important piece of information :-)

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:640

by HSPA » Sun May 08, 2011 6:27 pm
bubbliiiiiiii wrote:IDIOMS make me crazy.

:shock:
You will be held responsible for your own deeds regarding your hatred for idioms.. so love it.
First take: 640 (50M, 27V) - RC needs 300% improvement
Second take: coming soon..
Regards,
HSPA.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:730

by rohu27 » Sun May 08, 2011 8:19 pm
Jim@Grockit wrote:

BUt answer has to be B -

To be clearer: THE OTHER specifies the alternative; it is THE that makes it the only alternative option, not the word OTHER. With ANOTHER (a contraction of AN OTHER) you are not limited to a single alternative. You can say I would like another piece of pie or I would like the other piece of pie, though, when you have had one and there is only one piece remaining (a single alternative).

SOME OTHER is used when you mean an alternative beyond the one or ones presently being considered.
Thanks for the above Jim,
so ideally theres no difference between over another and over other? (without the)
both refer to multiple other options?

Legendary Member
Followed by:15 members

by AIM GMAT » Sun May 08, 2011 9:16 pm
Jim@Grockit wrote:

BUt answer has to be B -

Thanks Jim , yes "the" makes the diffrence :) .I will add it to my checklist too :) .
Thanks & Regards,
AIM GMAT