Optional essay- To explain Intentional exposure?

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Hi

I am a Indian Syrian Christian , who was brought up in the Middle East for 17 years of my life.

I have met and interacted with people from many countries and cultures in those years. I have used this exposure to a great extent in extracurricular activities such as Model UN events, Work as School student president and other competitions . Living in a racially and culturally diverse country, I have watched and learned everything I could about Global pop culture, current affairs and cultural topics .

Can I use this experience to differentiate my profile from the other Indian applicants .

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:50 pm
Hi Vince,

Thank you for your post! There are a few things you will need to consider in submitting an optional essay. Some schools will provide such an opportunity to only discuss such issues as gaps in employment, academic probation, etc. So, first, you need to ensure a given program allows for such content. In general, as optional essays create more work for the adcom, you'll want to be succinct. International experience and exposure would certainly set you apart; however, keep in mind that the adcom will be most interested in your experiences as an adult. Overall, this would be worth mentioning briefly if you can connect to how the experiences have influenced you as a business leader or would somehow be relevant to business school, e.g. bringing a unique perspective to classes, being able to adapt, or engage a diverse array of people. I also encourage you to connect your experiences to how they have influences your actions-"watching" does not convey direct engagement.

When you are ready to begin your applications, you can contact us directly at https://www.clearadmit.com/services/free-consultation/.
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.