Open Interview Period: UNC & Emory

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Open Interview Period: UNC & Emory

by jsche229 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:46 pm
Good Evening MBA Consultants-

I am in the process of applying for MBA Admission this fall and will be submitting an application in January. Two of the schools that I am applying to offer Open Interview Periods (UNC & Emory) that are closing soon. Due to work requirements over the fall I was not able to take advantage of the Open Interview Period. I am however visiting the campus in November for tours, meetings and class visits. I also have met the schools multiple times over the past 18 months. Will I be at a disadvantage or will my application be looked down upon for not requesting an open interview? Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:18 am
jsche229 wrote:Good Evening MBA Consultants-
Hi jsche229! I can really answer your question about UNC because I just spent 15 yrs on the adcom side there! You will NOT be looked down upon at UNC for not getting the open interview while you are there- just explain that it was all full and you could not get a spot. It actually could be an advantage to you if you visit UNC, do the tour, have lunch, go to class- and then go home and do more research. By the time you do your interview- you will know so much more about the school and you can use this knowledge to shine in your interview! And let me just add that if you want some expert advice for UNC- whether it is just a few hours or a full package- NO ONE- and I mean that- NO other admissions consultant knows more about how UNC works than me. So if you want to learn about how we work- again either just hourly consulting or a full package- go to this link- say you found out about us on Beat the GMAT and request a free consult and learn more how we can help you with UNC (and Emory too) every step of the way....
I am in the process of applying for MBA Admission this fall and will be submitting an application in January. Two of the schools that I am applying to offer Open Interview Periods (UNC & Emory) that are closing soon. Due to work requirements over the fall I was not able to take advantage of the Open Interview Period. I am however visiting the campus in November for tours, meetings and class visits. I also have met the schools multiple times over the past 18 months. Will I be at a disadvantage or will my application be looked down upon for not requesting an open interview? Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:39 am
The advice you received about UNC is pretty relevant to any school that has an "open interview" option. Yes, if you can take advantage of it, it's very helpful, both for you and for the schools. But you are right to do an official school visit as soon as you can, and be sure that your experiences on the campus are part of your essays, where relevant. Top MBA programs will appreciate you going the extra mile to learn about their offerings.
When you do get called for an interview, I always suggest that you interview either later in the day or the morning after a campus visit, so that everything you love about that school is fresh in your mind. Investing that extra time to immerse in the school's community will pay big dividends for you in your interview.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me