00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that there were about a million copies of Hollywood movies available online and expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available.

A) online and expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available
B) online and expect the increase of piracy with the wider availability of high-speed Internet connections
C) online, and they expect more piracy to increase with the wider availability of high-speed Internet connections
D) online, and that they expected the increase of piracy as high-speed Internet connections would become more widely available
E) online, and that they expected piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections became more widely available

OA: E

Why is Option E preferred over D?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by dustystormy » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:36 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

I have the same doubt. Experts Please help

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:02 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

richachampion wrote:Why is Option E preferred over D?
To refer to a percentage, we use increase OF:
an increase OF ten percent
To refer to something becoming larger or more prevalent, we use increase IN:
an increase IN the crime rate

D: they expected the increase of piracy
Here, increase OF incorrectly serves to refer to piracy (something expected to become more prevalent).
Correct: they expected an increase IN piracy.
Eliminate D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740

by richachampion » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:08 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:
richachampion wrote:Why is Option E preferred over D?
To refer to a percentage, we use increase OF:
an increase OF ten percent
To refer to something becoming larger or more prevalent, we use increase IN:
an increase IN the crime rate

D: they expected the increase of piracy
Here, increase OF incorrectly serves to refer to piracy (something expected to become more prevalent).
Correct: they expected an increase IN piracy.
Eliminate D.
Thanks Mr, Hunt You are very helpful.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:25 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

richachampion wrote:Thanks Mr, Hunt You are very helpful.
My pleasure.
An error in D that does not rely on idiomatic knowledge:

Generally, an as-clause must serve to modify an ACTION.
It cannot serve to modify a noun or noun phrase.
D: the increase of piracy as high-speed Internet connections would become
Here, the as-clause in red incorrectly serves to modify not an action but a NOUN phrase (the increase of piracy).
Eliminate D.

OA: to increase as high-speed Internet connections became more widely available
Here, the as-clause in green correctly serves to modify an action (to increase).
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by solitaryreaper » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:57 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

GMATGuruNY wrote:
richachampion wrote:Thanks Mr, Hunt You are very helpful.
My pleasure.
An error in D that does not rely on idiomatic knowledge:

Generally, an as-clause must serve to modify an ACTION.
It cannot serve to modify a noun or noun phrase.
D: the increase of piracy as high-speed Internet connections would become
Here, the as-clause in red incorrectly serves to modify not an action but a NOUN phrase (the increase of piracy).
Eliminate D.

OA: to increase as high-speed Internet connections became more widely available
Here, the as-clause in green correctly serves to modify an action (to increase).

Hi Mitch!

Thanks for the valuable information.
I have a doubt in one piece if you can help.

I have learned that the usage of word expected/expectation calls for a future tense usage.
Now, since we have a past tense verb here (expected), usage of 'would'(future tense from a past perspective) should make sense. I'm still not sure how a simple past tense usage (became - past form of become) in OA makes sense.

Regards
SR

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:8 members

by [email protected] » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:27 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

Hello Everyone!

This is a great example of a GMAT question that focuses on consistent verb tense! Let's start by looking at the question carefully, and identify any major differences between the options by highlighting them in orange:

At the end of 2001, motion picture industry representatives said that there were about a million copies of Hollywood movies available online and expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available.

(A) online and expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available
(B) online and expect the increase of piracy with the wider availability of high-speed Internet connections
(C) online, and they expect more piracy to increase with the wider availability of high-speed Internet connections
(D) online, and that they expected the increase of piracy as high-speed Internet connections would become more widely available
(E) online, and that they expected piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections became more widely available

Since we know that this question focuses mainly on verb consistency, here are a couple places we can focus on:

1. expected / expect
2. became available / become available / the wider availability of

To begin, we need to determine when these events take place: in the past, present, or future? Let's look at the entire sentence for clues:

This takes place in 2001, which is clearly in the past! So, let's make sure all the verbs in each option reflect that:

(A) online and expected piracy to increase with high-speed Internet connections that become more widely available

This is INCORRECT because it uses the present tense "become" instead of the past tense "became." Since this all takes place in the past, it's best to keep all the verbs in some form of past tense!

(B) online and expect the increase of piracy with the wider availability of high-speed Internet connections

This is INCORRECT because it uses the present tense "expect" for an event that took place in 2001, which is clearly in the past and requires past tense verbs to match!

(C) online, and they expect more piracy to increase with the wider availability of high-speed Internet connections

Again, this is INCORRECT because it uses the present tense "expect" to describe a past event!

(D) online, and that they expected the increase of piracy as high-speed Internet connections would become more widely available

This is INCORRECT because it uses the present tense "become" to describe a past event.

(E) online, and that they expected piracy to increase as high-speed Internet connections became more widely available

This is CORRECT! It uses past tense verbs consistently throughout the sentence to indicate that everything in the sentence occurred in the past!

There you have it - option E is the best choice because it uses consistent verb tenses!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by vietnam47 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:15 am

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

"and" is never easy on gmat . when we see "and" we have to prove that 2 ideas are paralel logically. this job requires meaning analysis and, so, is hard.

honestly, I jump into "that/and that" and spend a lot of time because it is hard to prove the parallelism between "there were" and "expected". but , as the expert did, we can avoid this parallelism analysis by analysying different errors. thank you expert.