• NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    Hundreds of Questions Highly Detailed Reporting Expert Explanations TAKE A FREE GMAT QUIZ
  • 7 CATs FREE!
    If you earn 100 Forum Points

    Engage in the Beat The GMAT forums to earn
    100 points for $49 worth of Veritas practice GMATs FREE

    Veritas Prep
    VERITAS PRACTICE GMAT EXAMS
    Earn 10 Points Per Post
    Earn 10 Points Per Thanks
    Earn 10 Points Per Upvote
    REDEEM NOW

OG13 117 CR Northern Air has dozens of flights daily into an

This topic has 6 expert replies and 7 member replies

OG13 117 CR Northern Air has dozens of flights daily into an

Post
Northern Air has dozens of flights daily into and out of Belleville Airport, which is highly congested. Northern Air depends for its success on economy and quick turnaround and consequently is planning to replace its large planes with Skybuses, whose novel aerodynamic design is extremely fuel efficient. The Skybus' fuel efficiency results in both lower fuel costs and reduced time spent refueling.

Which of the following, if true, could present the most serious disadvantage for Northern Air in replacing their large planes with Skybuses?

(A) The Skybus would enable Northern Air to schedule direct flights to destinations that currently require stops for refueling.
(B) Aviation fuel is projected to decline in price over the next several years.
(C) The fuel efficiency of the Skybus would enable Northern Air to eliminate refueling at some of its destinations, but several mechanics would lose their jobs.
(D) None of Northern Air's competitors that use Belleville Airport are considering buying Skybuses.
(E) The aerodynamic design of the Skybus causes turbulence behind it when taking off that forces other planes on the runway to delay their takeoffs.

_________________
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
richacrunch2@gmail.com
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Legendary Member
Joined
21 Jul 2015
Posted:
698 messages
Followed by:
26 members
Upvotes:
32
Test Date:
∞ →
Target GMAT Score:
760
GMAT Score:
740
Post
OA: E

I had no issues to get the correct answer, but still I am unable to find the profound reasoning to completely eliminate the Option D.

_________________
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
richacrunch2@gmail.com
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post
richachampion wrote:
I am unable to find the profound reasoning to completely eliminate the Option D.
D: None of Northern Air's competitors that use Belleville Airport are considering buying Skybuses.
This information could constitute an ADVANTAGE for Northern Air, since Northern Air will be the only airline using Skybuses, whose fuel efficiency results in both lower fuel costs and reduced time spent refueling.
Since the correct answer choice must provide a clear DISADVANTAGE, eliminate D.

_________________
Mitch Hunt
Private Tutor for the GMAT and GRE
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "UPVOTE" icon.

Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
Legendary Member
Joined
21 Jul 2015
Posted:
698 messages
Followed by:
26 members
Upvotes:
32
Test Date:
∞ →
Target GMAT Score:
760
GMAT Score:
740
Post
GMATGuruNY wrote:
D: None of Northern Air's competitors that use Belleville Airport are considering buying Skybuses.
This information could constitute an ADVANTAGE for Northern Air, since Northern Air will be the only airline using Skybuses, whose fuel efficiency results in both lower fuel costs and reduced time spent refueling.
Since the correct answer choice must provide a clear DISADVANTAGE, eliminate D.
Mr. Hunt, Aren't we assuming something to come to the conclusion that this is an advantage. Based on this line of reasoning where we are free to assume we can also conclude on the basis of the assumption that since None of Northern Air's competitors that use Belleville Airport are considering buying Skybuses the total congestion and traffic on the airport will not decrease. So this is an disadvantage.

_________________
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
richacrunch2@gmail.com
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post
richachampion wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:
D: None of Northern Air's competitors that use Belleville Airport are considering buying Skybuses.
This information could constitute an ADVANTAGE for Northern Air, since Northern Air will be the only airline using Skybuses, whose fuel efficiency results in both lower fuel costs and reduced time spent refueling.
Since the correct answer choice must provide a clear DISADVANTAGE, eliminate D.
Mr. Hunt, Aren't we assuming something to come to the conclusion that this is an advantage. Based on this line of reasoning where we are free to assume we can also conclude on the basis of the assumption that since None of Northern Air's competitors that use Belleville Airport are considering buying Skybuses the total congestion and traffic on the airport will not decrease. So this is an disadvantage.
My post above does not conclude that D is an advantage.
Rather, it states that D could constitute an advantage, since the usage of Skybuses might enable Northern Air to turn around its planes faster than its competitors can turn around their planes.
An answer choice that COULD constitute an advantage is incorrect.
The disadvantage presented by the answer choice must be crystal clear.
Eliminate D.

_________________
Mitch Hunt
Private Tutor for the GMAT and GRE
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "UPVOTE" icon.

Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
Legendary Member
Joined
21 Jul 2015
Posted:
698 messages
Followed by:
26 members
Upvotes:
32
Test Date:
∞ →
Target GMAT Score:
760
GMAT Score:
740
Post
GMATGuruNY wrote:
My post above does not conclude that D is an advantage.
Rather, it states that D could constitute an advantage, since the usage of Skybuses might enable Northern Air to turn around its planes faster than its competitors can turn around their planes.
An answer choice that COULD constitute an advantage is incorrect.
The disadvantage presented by the answer choice must be crystal clear.
Eliminate D.
I didn't write anything above to offend you sir, but I just wanted to make sure that I am moving in the right direction and I have the correct understanding.

_________________
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
richacrunch2@gmail.com
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post
richachampion wrote:
I didn't write anything above to offend you sir, but I just wanted to make sure that I am moving in the right direction and I have the correct understanding.
No worries -- no offense was taken.

_________________
Mitch Hunt
Private Tutor for the GMAT and GRE
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "UPVOTE" icon.

Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
Legendary Member
Joined
21 Jul 2015
Posted:
698 messages
Followed by:
26 members
Upvotes:
32
Test Date:
∞ →
Target GMAT Score:
760
GMAT Score:
740
Post
GMATGuruNY wrote:
No worries -- no offense was taken.
Thanks!

_________________
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
richacrunch2@gmail.com
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Joined
06 Jan 2016
Posted:
28 messages
Post
Hi Mitch,

Thanks for the great explanation.

Here is how I did the question,

Goal: Economy and Quick Turnaround time
Action: By switching to sky busses.
We already have info about economy but we dont have information on turnaround time.

Will switching to skybus lead to quick turnaround time and economy? Y or N?

E clearly says No. But I had a hard time eliminating B. I always see a few answers written in this style
(It talks nothing about the plan but somehow makes you feel the options is correct ). If I personalize, B kind of strengthens as fuel is getting cheaper and therefore more economy, good for the customers.

Could you please tell how you eliminated B.

Thanks in advance.
Al

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post
Alchemist14 wrote:
But I had a hard time eliminating B. I always see a few answers written in this style
(It talks nothing about the plan but somehow makes you feel the options is correct ). If I personalize, B kind of strengthens as fuel is getting cheaper and therefore more economy, good for the customers.

Could you please tell how you eliminated B.

Thanks in advance.
Al
Cheap fuel is GOOD for an airline because it lowers costs.
The correct answer choice must express a DISADVANTAGE -- something that will be BAD for Northern Air.
Eliminate B.

_________________
Mitch Hunt
Private Tutor for the GMAT and GRE
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "UPVOTE" icon.

Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Joined
22 May 2014
Posted:
25 messages
Facebook Logo
Post
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Alchemist14 wrote:
But I had a hard time eliminating B. I always see a few answers written in this style
(It talks nothing about the plan but somehow makes you feel the options is correct ). If I personalize, B kind of strengthens as fuel is getting cheaper and therefore more economy, good for the customers.

Could you please tell how you eliminated B.

Thanks in advance.
Al
Cheap fuel is GOOD for an airline because it lowers costs.
The correct answer choice must express a DISADVANTAGE -- something that will be BAD for Northern Air.
Eliminate B.
Hi Mitch - I have a question on B

Per my understanding, the argument is the following

Skybus offers us fuel effeciency hence we, the company should switch to Skybus (given our company's priorities are economy and turn-around)



B to me sounded like the following - Well fuel prices are coming down for all planes

Now,

With that in mind ...my thought went like "Well if fuel prices are coming down anyways, whats the point of fuel effeciency ? Fuel prices are coming down anyway ... Hence this answer is giving me a reason from the perspective of the company, NOT TO SWITCH to the skybus (As fuel prices are coming down anyways) "

Hence i selected B

Please assist where am i going wrong here Sad

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post
jabhatta wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Alchemist14 wrote:
But I had a hard time eliminating B. I always see a few answers written in this style
(It talks nothing about the plan but somehow makes you feel the options is correct ). If I personalize, B kind of strengthens as fuel is getting cheaper and therefore more economy, good for the customers.

Could you please tell how you eliminated B.

Thanks in advance.
Al
Cheap fuel is GOOD for an airline because it lowers costs.
The correct answer choice must express a DISADVANTAGE -- something that will be BAD for Northern Air.
Eliminate B.
Hi Mitch - I have a question on B

Per my understanding, the argument is the following

Skybus offers us fuel effeciency hence we, the company should switch to Skybus (given our company's priorities are economy and turn-around)



B to me sounded like the following - Well fuel prices are coming down for all planes

Now,

With that in mind ...my thought went like "Well if fuel prices are coming down anyways, whats the point of fuel effeciency ? Fuel prices are coming down anyway ... Hence this answer is giving me a reason from the perspective of the company, NOT TO SWITCH to the skybus (As fuel prices are coming down anyways) "

Hence i selected B

Please assist where am i going wrong here Sad
It is stated as a PREMISE that the Skybus' fuel efficiency results in LOWER FUEL COSTS.
A premise is a FACT.
It cannot be disputed or weakened.
Thus, the price of fuel is irrelevant.
Whatever the price of fuel, the Skybus' fuel efficiency will still result in LOWER fuel costs, since this information is given as a premise.
To weaken the conclusion, the correct answer must show a disadvantage that is unrelated to fuel costs.

_________________
Mitch Hunt
Private Tutor for the GMAT and GRE
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "UPVOTE" icon.

Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Joined
22 May 2014
Posted:
25 messages
Facebook Logo
Post
GMATGuruNY wrote:
jabhatta wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Alchemist14 wrote:
But I had a hard time eliminating B. I always see a few answers written in this style
(It talks nothing about the plan but somehow makes you feel the options is correct ). If I personalize, B kind of strengthens as fuel is getting cheaper and therefore more economy, good for the customers.

Could you please tell how you eliminated B.

Thanks in advance.
Al
Cheap fuel is GOOD for an airline because it lowers costs.
The correct answer choice must express a DISADVANTAGE -- something that will be BAD for Northern Air.
Eliminate B.
Hi Mitch - I have a question on B

Per my understanding, the argument is the following

Skybus offers us fuel effeciency hence we, the company should switch to Skybus (given our company's priorities are economy and turn-around)



B to me sounded like the following - Well fuel prices are coming down for all planes

Now,

With that in mind ...my thought went like "Well if fuel prices are coming down anyways, whats the point of fuel effeciency ? Fuel prices are coming down anyway ... Hence this answer is giving me a reason from the perspective of the company, NOT TO SWITCH to the skybus (As fuel prices are coming down anyways) "

Hence i selected B

Please assist where am i going wrong here Sad
It is stated as a PREMISE that the Skybus' fuel efficiency results in LOWER FUEL COSTS.
A premise is a FACT.
It cannot be disputed or weakened.
Thus, the price of fuel is irrelevant.
Whatever the price of fuel, the Skybus' fuel efficiency will still result in LOWER fuel costs, since this information is given as a premise.
To weaken the conclusion, the correct answer must show a disadvantage that is unrelated to fuel costs.
Thanks Mitch. ..seems like i "conflated" two different issues ....fuel costs and fuel efficiency ..I see why B is wrong now

Quick query on E

E is talking about causing problems to "Other planes"

I actually thought given this answer choice affects other planes [not necessarily my planes] ...it was a neutral statement for Northern Airlines and not necessarily a disadvantage to my company (Northern Airlines)

Furthermore the premise did mention " Northern Air depends for its success on economy and Quick Turnaround"

I thought that to mean, features important for my company only (not necessarily other companies)

People are suggesting that delays to other planes will eventually cause delays to Northern Air planes indirectly, but that doesn't necessarily have to be true ...

Please let me know your thoughts on this

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

Post
jabhatta wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:
jabhatta wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Alchemist14 wrote:
But I had a hard time eliminating B. I always see a few answers written in this style
(It talks nothing about the plan but somehow makes you feel the options is correct ). If I personalize, B kind of strengthens as fuel is getting cheaper and therefore more economy, good for the customers.

Could you please tell how you eliminated B.

Thanks in advance.
Al
Cheap fuel is GOOD for an airline because it lowers costs.
The correct answer choice must express a DISADVANTAGE -- something that will be BAD for Northern Air.
Eliminate B.
Hi Mitch - I have a question on B

Per my understanding, the argument is the following

Skybus offers us fuel effeciency hence we, the company should switch to Skybus (given our company's priorities are economy and turn-around)



B to me sounded like the following - Well fuel prices are coming down for all planes

Now,

With that in mind ...my thought went like "Well if fuel prices are coming down anyways, whats the point of fuel effeciency ? Fuel prices are coming down anyway ... Hence this answer is giving me a reason from the perspective of the company, NOT TO SWITCH to the skybus (As fuel prices are coming down anyways) "

Hence i selected B

Please assist where am i going wrong here Sad
It is stated as a PREMISE that the Skybus' fuel efficiency results in LOWER FUEL COSTS.
A premise is a FACT.
It cannot be disputed or weakened.
Thus, the price of fuel is irrelevant.
Whatever the price of fuel, the Skybus' fuel efficiency will still result in LOWER fuel costs, since this information is given as a premise.
To weaken the conclusion, the correct answer must show a disadvantage that is unrelated to fuel costs.
Thanks Mitch. ..seems like i "conflated" two different issues ....fuel costs and fuel efficiency ..I see why B is wrong now

Quick query on E

E is talking about causing problems to "Other planes"

I actually thought given this answer choice affects other planes [not necessarily my planes] ...it was a neutral statement for Northern Airlines and not necessarily a disadvantage to my company (Northern Airlines)

Furthermore the premise did mention " Northern Air depends for its success on economy and Quick Turnaround"

I thought that to mean, features important for my company only (not necessarily other companies)

People are suggesting that delays to other planes will eventually cause delays to Northern Air planes indirectly, but that doesn't necessarily have to be true ...

Please let me know your thoughts on this
Like a road, a runway must be SHARED.
Common sense tells us Skybuses at Belleville Airport will have to share the airport's runways with OTHER PLANES -- especially given that the airport is highly congested.
Whether these other planes are owned by Northern Air or by other airlines is irrelevant.
According to the OA, the use of Skybuses will lead to runway delays, making it impossible for Northern Airline to turn its planes around quickly -- a serious disadvantage to the company's plan.

_________________
Mitch Hunt
Private Tutor for the GMAT and GRE
GMATGuruNY@gmail.com

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "UPVOTE" icon.

Available for tutoring in NYC and long-distance.
For more information, please email me at GMATGuruNY@gmail.com.
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

  • +1 Upvote Post
  • Quote
  • Flag
Free GMAT Practice Test How can you improve your test score if you don't know your baseline score? Take a free online practice exam. Get started on achieving your dream score today! Sign up now.
  • Kaplan Test Prep
    Free Practice Test & Review
    How would you score if you took the GMAT

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Kaplan Test Prep
  • Economist Test Prep
    Free Trial & Practice Exam
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Economist Test Prep
  • Veritas Prep
    Free Veritas GMAT Class
    Experience Lesson 1 Live Free

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Veritas Prep
  • PrepScholar GMAT
    5 Day FREE Trial
    Study Smarter, Not Harder

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    PrepScholar GMAT
  • The Princeton Review
    FREE GMAT Exam
    Know how you'd score today for $0

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    The Princeton Review
  • Target Test Prep
    5-Day Free Trial
    5-day free, full-access trial TTP Quant

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Target Test Prep
  • Varsity Tutors
    Award-winning private GMAT tutoring
    Register now and save up to $200

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Varsity Tutors
  • EMPOWERgmat Slider
    1 Hour Free
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    EMPOWERgmat Slider
  • e-gmat Exclusive Offer
    Get 300+ Practice Questions
    25 Video lessons and 6 Webinars for FREE

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    e-gmat Exclusive Offer
  • Magoosh
    Magoosh
    Study with Magoosh GMAT prep

    Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

    MORE DETAILS
    Magoosh

Top First Responders*

1 Scott@TargetTestPrep 40 first replies
2 Brent@GMATPrepNow 40 first replies
3 Ian Stewart 37 first replies
4 Jay@ManhattanReview 28 first replies
5 GMATGuruNY 26 first replies
* Only counts replies to topics started in last 30 days
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members

Most Active Experts

1 image description Scott@TargetTestPrep

Target Test Prep

159 posts
2 image description Max@Math Revolution

Math Revolution

84 posts
3 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

59 posts
4 image description Ian Stewart

GMATiX Teacher

46 posts
5 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

40 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts