OG12: Ques No 24 [parallelism]

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:610

OG12: Ques No 24 [parallelism]

by singh181 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:49 pm
In virtually all types of tissue in every animal species, dioxin induces the production of enzymes that are the organism's trying to metabolize, or render harmless. the chemical that is irritating it.

(A) trying to metabolize, or render harmless, the chemical that is irritating it
(B) trying that it metabolize, or render harmless, the chemical irritant
(C) attempt to try to metabolize, or render harmless, such a chemical irritant
(D) attempt to try and metabolize, or render harmless, the chemical irritating it
(E) attempt to metabolize, or render harmless, the chemical irritant

According to Manhattan Sentence correction strategy book we have a parallelism issue here. Can anyone help me in identifying that issue here.
Note: I am focusing on parallelism issue here, so please refrain from other issues.
Last edited by singh181 on Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by vikram4689 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:27 pm
There is NO parallelism issue here. Correct answer relies on Gerund vs Noun usage.
Premise: If you like my post
Conclusion : Press the Thanks Button ;)

Followed by:2 members

by garima99 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:37 pm
E would correct ,'attempt to try' is wrong .

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:46 am
singh181 wrote:In virtually all types of tissue in every animal species, dioxin induces the production of enzymes that are the organism's trying to metabolize, or render harmless. the chemical that is irritating it.

(A) trying to metabolize, or render harmless, the chemical that is irritating it
(D) attempt to try and metabolize, or render harmless, the chemical irritating it

According to Manhattan Sentence correction strategy book we have a parallelism issue here. Can anyone help me in identifying that issue here.
Note: I am focusing on parallelism issue here, so please refrain from other issues.
i feel the word trying in option A and B is not parallel with the rest of the sentence. This is the parallelism iasue with A and B and in C ,D&E attempt and render harmless are parallel.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Calvin123 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:57 am
singh181 wrote:In virtually all types of tissue in every animal species, dioxin induces the production of enzymes that are the organism's trying to metabolize, or render harmless. the chemical that is irritating it.

Parallelism issue>> trying and render are not parallel.
Parallelism issue>> trying and render are not parallel. + Wordy >> trying that it
Redundancy.
Redundancy.
Bingo >> parallel and no redundancy.

IMO E

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by vikram4689 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:14 am
@All who see a ||ism issue. Can you please describe how you think ||ism is being tested here.
Premise: If you like my post
Conclusion : Press the Thanks Button ;)

by ov25 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:56 am
'trying to metabolize or (to) render harmless, the chemical irritant'

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:27 am
Calvin123 wrote:

Parallelism issue>> trying and render are not parallel.
Parallelism issue>> trying and render are not parallel. + Wordy >> trying that it
Redundancy.
Redundancy.
Bingo >> parallel and no redundancy.

IMO E
option D is also wrong because it says attempt to try, try what???? it leaves things open and unclear........

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:31 am

there is parallelism in this problem, but it doesn't help to narrow the answer choices.
the parallel structures are "metabolize" and "render harmless"; these structures are written in parallel in all five of the answer choices.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

by rveeraga » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:23 pm
In virtually all types of tissue in every animal species, dioxin induces the production of enzymes that are the organism's trying to metabolize, or render harmless. the chemical that is irritating it.

(A) trying to metabolize, or render harmless, the chemical that is irritating it (noun, attempt, is preferred over gerund,trying. also, pronoun points to chemical itself)
(B) trying that it metabolize, or render harmless, the chemical irritant (subject and verb do not match)
(C) attempt to try to metabolize, or render harmless, such a chemical irritant (redundant words)
(D) attempt to try and metabolize, or render harmless, the chemical irritating it (redundant words)

by jonathan123456 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:57 pm
Yes, IMO E

GMAT Score:690

by satish_iitg » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:57 pm
Experts - I am confused by the presence of 'are'. How is the are - attempt the right answer ?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:00 pm
satish_iitg wrote:Experts - I am confused by the presence of 'are'. How is the are - attempt the right answer ?
I received a PM asking me to comment.

In the construction X + form of to be + Y, X is the subject and Y is the COMPLEMENT.
A plural subject can have a singular complement:
The costumes are the best part of the show.
Here, the complement of costumes (plural) is part (singular).

The OA implies the following:
The enzymes are the organism's attempt to metabolize the irritant.
Here, the complement of enzymes (plural) is attempt (singular).

A body under attack produces various substances to defend itself.
In biology circles, it is quite common to deem these substances the body's attempt to defend itself.
Note that the GMAT does not expect us to possess this sort of specialized knowledge: in the original sentence, are is not underlined, so its usage is not being tested.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:53 am
satish_iitg wrote:Experts - I am confused by the presence of 'are'. How is the are - attempt the right answer ?
"attempt" is not the subject there -- "enzymes" is the subject -- so the bottom line is that there's no reason to expect "attempt" to agree with the verb.

this is not a grammar issue at all, actually -- it's just a matter of the context / meaning of the sentence.
in this case, the enzymes (taken together) constitute ONE "attempt", so it wouldn't be logical to use the plural of "attempt".
(as another example of the same thing, you'd say "these twelve basketball players are a team" (if they're all on the same team), or "Mimi and Timmy are a married couple". Etc.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

by iongmat » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:14 am
lunarpower wrote: "attempt" is not the subject there -- "enzymes" is the subject -- so the bottom line is that there's no reason to expect "attempt" to agree with the verb.
I think the original poster is suggesting that logically it seems like the production is the attempt.

I am also having a tough time digesting that enzymes are attempt. I mean..enzymes and attempt do not seem to be logical comparisons; production and attempt do seem more logical.