og verbal 105 sc

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

og verbal 105 sc

by resilient » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:29 pm
as busines grows more complex, students majoring in specialized areas like those of finance and marketing have been becoming increasingly successful in the job market.

b. who major in such specialized areas as finance and marketing are becoming more and more

d. who major in specialized areas like those of finance and marketing have been becoming more and more

qa is b - but what about the golden rule that LIKE can only bring up nouns and as can bring up clauses. I thought like is reserved for nouns and chose d and not b.
Appetite for 700 and I scraped my plate!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by amitansu » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:10 am
Guess in choice d " Like those of finance and marketing is awkward, so b sounds better here.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by krajaram29 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:26 pm
Since finance and marketing are a few examples from 'specialized areas', 'such as' is a better option than 'like'.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:2 members

by rey.fernandez » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:22 pm
I agree with krajaram29. Here, the matter is which construction to use to introduce examples: like or such as. The GMAT says examples must be introduced by such as.

Enginpasa refers to another issue altogether: like or as. The reason it does not apply here is that there is no comparison in this sentence. Like is for comparing nouns and as is for comparing clauses.

Rey
Rey Fernandez
Instructor
Manhattan GMAT

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by netigen » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:35 am
Important point to remember from this question is not to expect "such as" to show up as one term always, it can show in the format "such ...xyz.... as".

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by farooq » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:29 am
resilient wrote:as busines grows more complex, students majoring in specialized areas like those of finance and marketing have been becoming increasingly successful in the job market.

b. who major in such specialized areas as finance and marketing are becoming more and more

d. who major in specialized areas like those of finance and marketing have been becoming more and more

qa is b - but what about the golden rule that LIKE can only bring up nouns and as can bring up clauses. I thought like is reserved for nouns and chose d and not b.
"have been cecoming increasingly" doesn't looks perfect.

Such..as - for examples
Like - comparision.

Students are becoming....OR...Students have been becoming...??
[/spoiler]
Regards,
Farooq Farooqui.
London. UK

It is your Attitude, not your Aptitude, that determines your Altitude.