OG: In 1923, the Supreme Court declared a minimum wage

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
In 1923, the Supreme Court declared a minimum wage for women and children in the District of Columbia as unconstitutional, and ruling that it was a form of price-fixing and, as such, an abridgment of the right of contract.

(A) the Supreme Court declared a minimum wage for women and children in the District of Columbia as unconstitutional, and

(B) the Supreme Court declared as unconstitutional a minimum wage for women and children in the District of Columbia, and

(C) the Supreme Court declared unconstitutional a minimum wage for women and children in the District of Columbia,

(D) a minimum wage for women and children in the District of Columbia was declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court,

(E) when the Supreme Court declared a minimum wage for women and children in the District of Columbia as unconstitutional,

OA: C

HI Experts,

I've eliminated D bcoz of passive voice & E changes the meaning.

Can you pls help me with other options

Thanks
Nandish

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Rebecca26 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:45 am
For B, unconstitutional is in the wrong place

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:06 am
NandishSS wrote:In 1923, the Supreme Court declared a minimum wage for women and children in the District of Columbia as unconstitutional, and ruling that it was a form of price-fixing and, as such, an abridgment of the right of contract.

(A) the Supreme Court declared a minimum wage for women and children in the District of Columbia as unconstitutional, and

(B) the Supreme Court declared as unconstitutional a minimum wage for women and children in the District of Columbia, and

(C) the Supreme Court declared unconstitutional a minimum wage for women and children in the District of Columbia,

(D) a minimum wage for women and children in the District of Columbia was declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court,

(E) when the Supreme Court declared a minimum wage for women and children in the District of Columbia as unconstitutional,
and must serve to connect PARALLEL FORMS.
A and B: declared...and ruling
Here, declared (verb) and ruling (modifier) are not parallel forms.
Eliminate A and B.

COMMA + VERBing must refer to the preceding SUBJECT.
D: A minimum wage...was declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court, ruling that it was a form of price-fixing.
Here, COMMA + ruling seems to refer to a minimum wage -- the preceding subject -- conveying that A MINIMUM WAGE was RULING.
This meaning is nonsensical.
Eliminate D.

E: When the Supreme Court declared a minimum wage for women and children in the District of Columbia as unconstitutional, ruling that it was a form of price-fixing.
This option lacks a main subject and verb.
The result is an incomplete sentence.
Also, declared as is unidiomatic.
Incorrect: The wage was declared as unconstitutional.
Correct: The wage was declared unconstitutional.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3