OG CR

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

OG CR

by mundasingh123 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:28 pm
The imposition of quotas limiting imported steel will not help the big American steel mills. In fact, the quotas
will help "mini-mills" flourish in the United States. Those small domestic mills will take more business from the
big Americal steel mills than would have been taken by the foreign steel mills in the absence of quotas.

Which of the following, if true, would cast the most serious doubt on the claim made in the last sentence
above?
(A) Quality rather than price is a major factor in determining the type of steel to be used for a particular
application.

(B) Foreign steel mills have long produced grades of steel comparable in quality to the steel produced by the
big American mills.

(C) American quotas on imported goods have often induced other countries to impose similar quotas on
American goods.

(D) Domestic "mini-mills" consistently produce better grades of steel than do the big American mills.

(E) Domestic "mini-mills" produce low-volume, specialized types of steels that are not produced by the big
American steel mills.

I am between D and E
I chose not to go with E because the big steel mills dont produce specialized types of steel so the small steel mills are not competing with them.
The market that is catered to by the big mills if different from the market that is catered to by the small steel mills.
3rd CR i got wrong in a row
Well edit:I misunderstood the question
E weakens doesnt it

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:720

by stormier » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:28 pm
mundasingh123 wrote:The imposition of quotas limiting imported steel will not help the big American steel mills. In fact, the quotas
will help "mini-mills" flourish in the United States. Those small domestic mills will take more business from the
big Americal steel mills than would have been taken by the foreign steel mills in the absence of quotas.

Which of the following, if true, would cast the most serious doubt on the claim made in the last sentence
above?
(A) Quality rather than price is a major factor in determining the type of steel to be used for a particular
application.

(B) Foreign steel mills have long produced grades of steel comparable in quality to the steel produced by the
big American mills.

(C) American quotas on imported goods have often induced other countries to impose similar quotas on
American goods.

(D) Domestic "mini-mills" consistently produce better grades of steel than do the big American mills.

(E) Domestic "mini-mills" produce low-volume, specialized types of steels that are not produced by the big
American steel mills.

I am between D and E
I chose not to go with E because the big steel mills dont produce specialized types of steel so the small steel mills are not competing with them.
The market that is catered to by the big mills if different from the market that is catered to by the small steel mills.
3rd CR i got wrong in a row
Well edit:I misunderstood the question
E weakens doesnt it
I agree. E should be the correct answer. Mini-mills produce low-volume specialized type of steels which are not the requirements of the majority of the steel users. Thus bigger mills that produce non-specialized (or more volume) will flourish if imports are restricted. This weakens the conclusion that mini-mills will flourish.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by abhimanyu.tanwar » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:42 am
IMO E
Regards
Abhimanyu

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by gtr02 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:37 am
mundasingh123 wrote:The imposition of quotas limiting imported steel will not help the big American steel mills. In fact, the quotas will help "mini-mills" flourish in the United States. Those small domestic mills will take more business from the
big American steel mills than would have been taken by the foreign steel mills in the absence of quotas.

above?
application.

big American mills.

American goods.

American steel mills.

I am between D and E
D strengthens the argument, on the other hand, E weakens the last sentence.