OG 16

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

OG 16

by Neilsheth2 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:44 pm
A long-term study of some 1,000 physicians indicates that the more coffee these doctors drank, the more they had a likelihood of coronary disease.

(A) more they had a likelihood of coronary disease
(B) more was their likelihood of having coronary disease
(C) more they would have a likelihood to have coronary disease
(D) greater was their likelihood of having coronary disease
(E) greater was coronary disease likely

I am confused with the usage of the word 'greater' since Likelihood can not be counted(as per MGMAT rule one likelihood ,two likelihood rule) -I chose B while the OA is d
Last edited by Neilsheth2 on Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by conquistador » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:04 am
I copied this solution from Gmatclub forum by Dolly Sharma. Thanks to you as I learnt something new I never heard before today due to the post.
Let's look at the structure here-

"the more coffee these doctors drank, more they had a likelihood of coronary disease

As the second part of the structure refers to 'likelihood', we need 'greater'. 'greater' is used when the noun is a number. For example: percentage, rate, likelihood, distance and population.

Also, 'likelihood' means 'the probability of a specified outcome'. Thus, it's imprecise to say they had a likelihood/probability of coronary disease. The correct usage should be "likelihood of having coronary disease'.

E goes out as it distorts the meaning. 'likelihood' was greater, NOT the disease.

This leaves us with D.
Now this is my analysis as someone who had no idea of likelihood specialty

we can eliminate A because of improper past perfect tense.
(C) the more coffee these doctors drank, the more they would have a likelihood to have coronary disease
first part is in past tense, the conditional + present perfect tense they would have a likelihood....... .correct me if I'm wrong
(E) greater was coronary disease likely...............terrible construction

left options
(B) more was their likelihood of having coronary disease
(D) greater was their likelihood of having coronary disease

Dolly's argument seems good. However I cant understand why we cant use more for greater? #DAVIDG@VERITASPREP or @Marty Murray help?
Last edited by conquistador on Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:20 am, edited 5 times in total.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Neilsheth2 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:25 am
Thank you Mechmeera . Well , I did not know that likelihood is also a count noun.

now, the logic sounds perfect.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by thang » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:16 am
tricky for non native
we have idiom
likely to do something
but
likelihood of doing something, not likelihood to do something is correct idiom.

we are drawn to a wrong idiom.

if we focus on meaning, we can avoid the trap which attract us to grammar rules.

greater is better than more.

only d and e are left.

e is not clear.
looking for the girl living in Bradford UK, visiting Halong bay, Vietnam on 26- 27 Jan 2014. all persons, pls, forward this message to all persons you know to help me find her: my email: [email protected], call: 84904812758