OG 12 -121

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

OG 12 -121

by vineetbatra » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:48 pm
Sales of wines declined in the late 1980s, but they began to grow again after the 1991 report that linked moderate consumption of alcohol, and particularly of red wine, with a reduced risk of heart disease.

A) They began to grow again after the 1991 report that linked moderate consumption of alcohol, and particularly of red wine, with a reduced risk of heart disease

B) after the 1991 report that linked a reduced risk of heart disease with a moderate alcohol consumption, particularly red wine, they began growing again

C) in a 1991 report, moderate alcohol consumption, and particularly of red wine, which was linked with a reduced risk of heart disease, caused them to begin to grow again

D) with a reduced risk of heart disease linked in a 1991 report with moderate alcohol consumption, in particular red wine, they began growing again

E) a reduced risk of heart disease linked to moderate alcohol consumption in a 1991 report, and in particular red wine, started them growing again

OA is A.

My question is with B, the OG says particularly red wine cannot describe consumption and an Of is needed. Can someone explain why an of is needed?

Thanks,

Vineet

Community Manager
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:700

by viidyasagar » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:10 pm
My question is with B, the OG says particularly red wine cannot describe consumption and an Of is needed. Can someone explain why an of is needed?
RULE - We use "of" after nouns "referring to actions" to specify the thing that is affected by the action.

For example, `the kidnapping of Daniel Pearl' refers to an action affecting Daniel Pearl; `the arrival of the next recession' refers to an action performed by the next recession; and the hence the "consumption of red wine" - consumption is an action affecting red wine.

To simplify further - this is a basic preposition illustration. Red wine is the object of the preposition "of", a preposition always precedes a noun/ pronoun it modifies and hence it is known as a preposition.

Additionally, consumption of something can also be treated as an idiom and like other prepositional phrases (preposition + its object), they are best learned through listening to and reading as much as possible

Hope that helps

Note: Use spoiler to indicate OA. Tx

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by sumanr84 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:13 pm
IMO : A, It took me 2 mins to solve this one. ( am i taking long ? )
vineetbatra wrote:Sales of wines declined in the late 1980s, but they began to grow again after the 1991 report that linked moderate consumption of alcohol, and particularly of red wine, with a reduced risk of heart disease.

A) They began to grow again after the 1991 report that linked moderate consumption of alcohol, and particularly of red wine, with a reduced risk of heart disease - Correct

B) after the 1991 report that linked a reduced risk of heart disease with a moderate alcohol consumption, particularly red wine, they began growing again - they is referring to wine here with a meaning that red wine began growing rather than sales of red wine

C) in a 1991 report, moderate alcohol consumption, and particularly of red wine, which was linked with a reduced risk of heart disease, caused them to begin to grow again - them is too far from what its trying to refer

D) with a reduced risk of heart disease linked in a 1991 report with moderate alcohol consumption, in particular red wine, they began growing again - same as B

E) a reduced risk of heart disease linked to moderate alcohol consumption in a 1991 report, and in particular red wine, started them growing again - same as C

OA is A.

Now to your question, what would u say, consumption of red wine or consumption red wine. So, if I remove middle man " , , particularly", I have my answer.
I am on a break !!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by vijay_venky » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:04 am
I second sumanr84.

"and particularly red wine" is a modifier IMO. It should modify alcohol and not alcohol consumption. And this happens only in A