Note of caution about answers on 1000SC

This topic has expert replies
Community Manager
Followed by:3 members

Note of caution about answers on 1000SC

by isisalaska » Wed May 09, 2007 10:58 am
Hi
I found this question that is wrong in 1000SC. BEWARE of the answers in this document. :shock:

678- Sunspots, vortices of gas associated with strong electromagnetic activity, are visible as dark spots on the surface of the Sun but have never been sighted on the Sun’s poles or equator.
(A) are visible as dark spots on the surface of the Sun but have never been sighted on
(B) are visible as dark spots that never have been sighted on the surface of the Sun
(C) appear on the surface of the Sun as dark spots although never sighted at
(D) appear as dark spots on the surface of the Sun, although never having been sighted at
(E) appear as dark spots on the Sun’s surface, which have never been sighted on

Right answer is A even though 1000Sc says is C. This is a OG 11th edition question. (pg. 666 , question #9)
Isis Alaska

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Sun May 13, 2007 6:15 am
SPOT ON 8) Isis.

I too have similar thought about 1000 docs.
dear members, check out my article about it
Http://jc-gmat.blocked/2007/03/100 ... -time.html

1000 SC CR are they worth your time?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
isisalaska wrote:Hi
I found this question that is wrong in 1000SC. BEWARE of the answers in this document. :shock:

678- Sunspots, vortices of gas associated with strong electromagnetic activity, are visible as dark spots on the surface of the Sun but have never been sighted on the Sun’s poles or equator.

(A) are visible as dark spots on the surface of the Sun but have never been sighted on
(B) are visible as dark spots that never have been sighted on the surface of the Sun- ........of the Sun on the Sun's poles awkward distort contrast which is made by but-
(C) appear on the surface of the Sun as dark spots although never sighted at- we need passive here since sunspots cannot make sighting by themselves-
(D) appear as dark spots on the surface of the Sun, although never having been sighted at- having been sighted is peculiar , when I see I always eliminate the choice-
(E) appear as dark spots on the Sun’s surface, which have never been sighted on-which has no referent , surface or sunspots-
I gave up studying from 1000 SC,CR ,RC since they do not provide explanations .Explanations are the source of the improving.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:680
perfectstranger wrote:
isisalaska wrote:Hi

(B) are visible as dark spots that never have been sighted on the surface of the Sun- ........of the Sun on the Sun's poles awkward distort contrast which is made by but-
(C) appear on the surface of the Sun as dark spots although never sighted at- we need passive here since sunspots cannot make sighting by themselves-
(D) appear as dark spots on the surface of the Sun, although never having been sighted at- having been sighted is peculiar , when I see I always eliminate the choice-
(E) appear as dark spots on the Sun’s surface, which have never been sighted on-which has no referent , surface or sunspots-
I gave up studying from 1000 SC,CR ,RC since they do not provide explanations .Explanations are the source of the improving.
I doubt the reasoning you gave for the option E. Though my reasoning is little different E is out for sure. However I just want to make sure if my fundaes are right ?

which has no referent ?? i guess the phrase refers to the head word sun's surface since it is adjective clause(which should generally be placed next to the noun it is modifying). Now the sentence is "sun's surface is not seen on .... ) wrong !!

Can someone confirm ???
GMAT First take :- 680
Getting the guns ready for second shot !!!
https://beatenbygmat.blocked

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by luck76 » Thu May 13, 2010 12:23 pm
a lot of answers in 1000 SC are incorrect, i guessed they come from the previous practicers than from the official key.
it's true that it's frustrated, however, at least 1000SC is the only material close to OG that I have, better than nothing.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by sanduds » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:05 pm
Hello,
Will you please send 1000 SC, CR, RC documents to my email [email protected].

I appreciate your help.

-sandeep

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by divineacclivity » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:11 pm
Hi,

I have one confusion here about the option E.

spots on sun's surface, which have .. --> "which have" clearly refers to spots (plural) rather than sun's surface (singular). Also, grammar says:
In "x preposition y, which ..", "which" would refer to the most logically connecting & grammatically correct noun of X & Y. So, E shd be right. Please help me understand why it is not so.

Thanks
Divine

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:39 am
this is og question and should be studied carefully

Ron said
if you're going to use "while" with an adjective phrase (while willing to...), then that adjective phrase should precede the main verb.
i.e., many people, while willing to... , are disinclined to...

C is wrong because
although sighted
dose not appear before the main verb

I am hightly interested in discussion of og problems.