New york state law

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member

New york state law

by ketkoag » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:30 am
Almost a decade after New York State passed laws to protect patients by reducing the grueling hours worked by medical residents, twelve hospitals have been investigated by state medical officials, finding that all twelve consistently break the laws, many residents work longer than 24 hours straight, and that more than half the surgical residents work more than 95 hours a week.

A.twelve hospitals have been investigated by state medical officials, finding that all twelve consistently break the laws, many residents work longer than 24 hours straight, and that more than half the surgical residents work
B.an investigation by state medical officials of twelve hospitals have found all twelve consistently breaking the laws, that many residents work longer than 24 hours straight, with more than half the surgical residents working
C.an investigation of twelve hospitals by state medical officials has found that all twelve consistently break the laws, that many residents work longer than 24 hours straight, and that more than half the surgical residents work
D.twelve hospitals were investigated by state medical officials who found all twelve breaking the laws, with many residents working longer than 24 hours straight, and more than half the surgical residents work
E.an investigation by state medical officials has found that, of twelve hospitals, all twelve consistently break the laws, that many residents work longer than 24 hours straight, with more than half the surgical residents working

I don't have OA to this question so please confirm he answer.
IMO : D

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by mittalashwani13 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:41 am
IMO C ...

A - Parallelism error
B - S-V agreement error
D - is passive ...
E - Parallelism error

Followed by:1 members

by champ0007 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:02 am
A Passive. sentence is like ... finding that finding 1, finding 2 and finding 3. which implies that investigation found out 3 findings. whereas finding 2 and finding 3 are the laws which come under finding 1.

B an [b]investigation [/b]... [b]have [/b]found... should be "has found"

E follow similar reasoning as A

now, we are narrowed down to C or D.

C - an investigation by X has found Y

D - twelve hospitals were investigated by X who found Y (doesn't sound right)

So, Best Choice C.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by perfectstranger » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:22 pm
an investigation .... has found that .... Peculiar ? How can an investigation find by itself?
Please do not post answers visibly . Please hide them or post them later after the discussion.

Legendary Member

by mehravikas » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:40 pm
IMO - C

GMAT Score:680

Re: New york state law

by mooreliberty » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:20 pm
ketkoag wrote:Almost a decade after New York State passed laws to protect patients by reducing the grueling hours worked by medical residents, twelve hospitals have been investigated by state medical officials, finding that all twelve consistently break the laws, many residents work longer than 24 hours straight, and that more than half the surgical residents work more than 95 hours a week.

A.twelve hospitals have been investigated by state medical officials, finding that all twelve consistently break the laws, many residents work longer than 24 hours straight, and that more than half the surgical residents work
B.an investigation by state medical officials of twelve hospitals have found all twelve consistently breaking the laws, that many residents work longer than 24 hours straight, with more than half the surgical residents working
C.an investigation of twelve hospitals by state medical officials has found that all twelve consistently break the laws, that many residents work longer than 24 hours straight, and that more than half the surgical residents work
D.twelve hospitals were investigated by state medical officials who found all twelve breaking the laws, with many residents working longer than 24 hours straight, and more than half the surgical residents work
E.an investigation by state medical officials has found that, of twelve hospitals, all twelve consistently break the laws, that many residents work longer than 24 hours straight, with more than half the surgical residents working

A & D are out because the dependent/modifying clause ("Almost a decade .... hours worked by medical residents,") incorrectly modifies the sentence's direct object (hospitals), in addition to other less important idiomatic and tense issues.

B D & E use different verb tenses when referencing workload (e.g. in E: "many residents work... surgical residents working").

Voila! Leaving C. Verb tenses are solid, modifiers are on target, and phrases/clauses are parallell (that, that, and that...).

Voila tout.

Well.... Just a question for the group:

Even though I only mentioned verb tense in pointing out the flaws in B, D, & E, I noticed many other additional errors in those sentences and simply slammed the door on those choices for me. With that said, I have rarely - if ever - seen GMAT questions with so many different flaws in each answer choice, making me second guess my confidence...

With that said, I simply want confirmation that the verb tense/parallel issues found in B,D, & E, would be enough to theoretically knock those choices out of the running.

Thanks!
Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice; moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue. - Barry Goldwater

(Inspired by Thomas Paine in The Rights of Man).

Legendary Member

by ketkoag » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:32 am
ketkoag wrote:Almost a decade after New York State passed laws to protect patients by reducing the grueling hours worked by medical residents, twelve hospitals have been investigated by state medical officials, finding that all twelve consistently break the laws, many residents work longer than 24 hours straight, and that more than half the surgical residents work more than 95 hours a week.

Please tell me, is the bold part in option C correct??

Legendary Member

by mehravikas » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:10 pm
Don't think so...
ketkoag wrote:

Please tell me, is the bold part in option C correct??

GMAT Score:720

by dumb.doofus » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:23 pm
IMO C

Using the 3:2 divide, its easy to get that the modifying clause is modifying investigation and not hospitals.. so we are down to B, C and E

b] Have found is incorrect.. investigation is singular

c] perfect.. maintains parallelism too.. has found that X, that y and that Z

e] awkward construction
One love, one blood, one life. You got to do what you should.
https://dreambigdreamhigh.blocked/
https://gmattoughies.blocked/

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by uwhusky » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:55 am
I am not quite unsatisfied with the discussion of this thread, so I thought maybe we could continue where the discussion left off.

I'll start off by pointing out why I think D is wrong (which echos off the OG explanation):

D is passive, but that itself is not enough to eliminate an answer. However, "with..." introduces the prepositional adverb clause of two parallel elements, with "many..." and "more than half...", thus their verbs should also parallel in tense, which they're not.

Please chime in and fill in the gap.
Yep.

Followed by:7 members
GMAT Score:690

by LalaB » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:41 am
C is the answer.and btw https://www.nytimes.com/1998/05/19/nyreg ... all&src=pm

by babuxavier » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:41 am
IMO C

check that, that in starter

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by dhruv224 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:01 am
.an investigation of twelve hospitals by state medical officials has found that all twelve consistently break the laws, that many residents work longer than 24 hours straight, and that more than half the surgical residents work

Can we start a new clause with "that" after a comma???

by TheGraduate » Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:21 am
Is the following version correct? (It's essentially choice E with an "and".)
Almost a decade after New York State passed laws to protect patients by reducing the grueling hours worked by medical residents, an investigation by state medical officials has found that, of twelve hospitals, all twelve consistently break the laws, and that many residents work longer than 24 hours straight, with more than half the surgical residents working more than 95 hours a week.