New to this

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

New to this

by jymalchi » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:22 am
To Whom it May Concern:
I am just starting to think about an MBA and trying to figure out the best path for me. I had an inspiring discussion with an EMBA student from Kellogg on the plane the other day that really got me interested in a program like that. I am a bit confused where I fit in and what I would need to make sure I put myself in the best position when I finally apply. I went to undergrad at Union College in Schenectady, NY and graduated in 2003 with a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering (GPA 3.6). I went on to graduate school and received my Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering in 2007 from Penn State University (GPA 3.9). After my Ph.D. I decided to go into industry and got a job at an aerospace consulting firm working with rocket engines on the technical staff. I have been doing that for 2 years now. I like the technical side, but I am also very interested in the business and management side. I have always been told that I have a more outgoing personality than the "typical" person with a Ph.D. in Engineering and that I am really good at working with people. I think an MBA will be an excellent compliment to my technical background.

I am confused about whether or not I need management experience before I apply for an MBA. Also, do MBA admissions programs count my years doing my Ph.D. work as work experience? Will having a Ph.D. give me any advantage in the application process? Would you recommend holding off until I have more work/managerial experience? I really liked the idea of an executive MBA and the guy I talked to on the plane couldn't find one bad thing to say about it. From reading on the internet, it seems EMBA students usually have extensive managerial experience. Does this make me not fit for an EMBA? I am assuming my first step is to take the GMATS, is this a good starting point? Thanks for your help.

MBA Admissions Consultant

by erins » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:04 pm
Hi -

Based on your inquiry, it sounds as though you are leaning toward an EMBA which seems like it could make sense for you. Most EMBA programs do require/look for a minimum number of years experience as well as some management experience as part of your candidacy. This is not the case for full-time programs.

Of course, having your PhD is a commendable achievement; however, from your perspective, I think being able to effectively communicate why you are pursuing an MBA will be and important part of your application. Further, you will want to discuss how you are prepared to handle both the rigor of your program and job in tandem.

Regarding the GMAT, most EMBA programs require the test, but not all do, so it's best to look by school.

Hope that helps.
Erin
Erin Schuhmacher, MBA
Senior Consultant

Our Mission is Your Mission

mbaMission

www.mbamission.com
646-485-8844

Read the mbaMission Guides (12 individual school titles)
Visit the mbaMission Blog
Follow mbaMission on Visit the mbaMission Twitter