New Moderators to Beat The GMAT!

Welcome to the Beat The GMAT community! Tell us about yourself
This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

New Moderators to Beat The GMAT!

by beatthegmat » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:10 pm
Let's use this thread to introduce new moderators to our community.

To the moderators--please introduce yourself by providing some background information, including:
  • Where you are from, what your day job is
  • The forum you will be moderating
  • Status of your GMAT prep (Have you taken yet? What did you score?)
  • Areas of GMAT expertise or knowledge
Thanks very much to these Beat The GMAT! community leaders!
Last edited by beatthegmat on Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:3 members

New Verbal Mod :)

by Psychodementia » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:26 am
Hello All,

It gives me great pleasure to be part of the Beatthegmat moderator team. Eric has upgraded my user status to Moderator of the Verbal section.

I am given to writing slightly longer posts. Brevity is not one of my virtues.

I am M/29/India and have a BS and MS degrees in Science and Computers respectively. I work as an Account Manager for a product based company in Bangalore, India. I have been teaching for close to a decade and my passion always has been to help people achieve their potential. Partly fueled by belief that if I can learn, so can anybody else.

I started off teaching Internet and computer basics (MS-Office etc.) on a part-time basis in 1997 when I was still in college and India just ushered in the Internet revolution. By 2001, after over 4years of teaching software I started teaching Verbal for CAT (the admission test for the Indian Institutes of Management - conversion ratio of 1:100). After another 5 years of teaching/mentoring I started off teaching GMAT esp the Verbal component. I have been associated with the Princeton Review and Kaplan as a Verbal faculty as some points in the last 1 year.

I have taken the GMAT myself and have a 700 score - Q49 and V38. More than just the scores, over the last year I have taken a lot of time to understand the test-taking process in order to help in my own teaching. This, I feel, gives me a greater clarity in understanding the travails of gmat prep :)

No matter what I do - write code, engage clients, project management - nothing gives me a bigger kick than logging onto the online forums helping people or teaching GMAT/Software/Management during weekends/evenings. If people could have their guiding goals in life written down - mine would be on Neon lights in Las Vegas proclaiming that I should chuck my full-time job for doing this :)

Till the epiphany fairy visits me the next time - hope to help and contribute people on beatthegmat, esp on the VERBAL forum that I will be moderating, to the best of my ability.

Please feel free to PM me any request or any queries.

Thanks,

Arun

Community Manager

by ianstrike » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:39 am
My name is Ian Streicher and I am a new moderator on the site.

I am a GMAT tutor in NYC; I've been working with GMAT students since 1989.

A quick overview of my GMAT background:

I taught & managed at Kaplan from 1989 through 1997. During that time, I was the head academic for Kaplan's Chicago operation. (In that job, I hired, trained and mentored GMAT, GRE, LSAT and SAT teachers.)

I also had other managerial & marketing roles during my 8-year Kaplan tenure. No matter what my title and responsibility at Kaplan was, I always taught GMAT a lot because working with adult students was (and continues to be) tremendously satisfying for me.

Since 1998 (when I moved to NYC), I've been a private tutor. I also run a GMAT program at Hunter College of the City University of NY.

As a moderator at BEAT The GMAT, I hope to share what I've learned by working with (and watching) scores of students going through this process.

I'm probably less inclined to answer the "how do ya do THIS question" queries (I do THAT 25+ hours per week.) and more inclined to discuss how to THINK about math and verbal on the test. In other words, I will be the guy to discuss how to do a particular kind of problem in general and how best to leverage your GMAT opportunities.

I'm happy to be available to help you all in this daunting but ultimately rewarding process.

Best of luck to you all.
Ian Streicher

Community Manager
Followed by:1 members

Hi!

by wildrebel » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:57 pm
Hi Guys!

My name is Nandan, and I'm happy to say that Eric has added me to the league of mods.

I've been working the past couple of years as a web and graphic designer. Before that, I had a short stint with branding at an ad agency as well.

I earned my undergraduate degree in Business Management from Mumbai University.

I only ever took the GMAT once, and I got a 710. I was super happy because I went from a 440 in my first mock GMAT to a 710 in the actual one. Along the way, I pretty much did stuff on my own, collected my own resources (Eric's blog helped as well) and basically improved along the way.

I'd love to help out if anyone needs help or advice on GMAT strategy overall, so to that effect, I'll be moderating the GMAT strategy forum.

All the best to you all! If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to PM the mods.

Nandan
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
- Groucho Marx

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:13 am
Nonedone!! oops i mean Nandan?

W H A T A P L E A S A N T S U R P R I S E !!

YOU have been here & i didnt recognise you!

Ok, for those who directly come to this post from BeattheGMAT index thinking that i have joined the Moderators club,
I am sorry to say that you are wrong. :lol:

I ll not be moderating any forum here.

Still i just checked in to say hello to all new moderators. :)
I welcome you all to this wonderful site.

Keep this community rocking!!

Community Manager
Followed by:1 members

by wildrebel » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:08 pm
aim-wsc wrote:Nonedone!! oops i mean Nandan?

W H A T A P L E A S A N T S U R P R I S E !!

YOU have been here & i didnt recognise you!
Yes, the same nonedone from PG.

Haha, you should've made out from my signature.

All the best aim-wsc!
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
- Groucho Marx

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by ajith » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:54 am
I am Ajith,
After Completing my BE , I am now working with an MNC in software field. I have one and a half years of work experience.

I was preparing for CAT this time ( oh yeah, for admission to indian institutes of Management). I suppose I will be taking GMAT in an year.

I think I have got some math concepts in place, so I will be moderating the math section for beatthegmat.com.

Thats all for now, For all indian users, Happy diwali- the festival of color.
Stay safe and have fun.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by priti1 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:55 pm
Hi all,

I used to work in a reputed ad agency in india . I have done 3 yrs course n advertising . I love the field of advertising and now i am preparing for gmat ( fingers crossed ) hoping to get 750 :P . I will be moderating gmat verbal and essays and will try to help all of yu out there . All the best . Take care
Bye
priti 1

by rajs.kumar » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:57 pm
hello all - I am Rajkumar. I currently live and work just outside London for a wireless organisation.

I have a masters in wireless systems. I will join others moderators in the math forum, and help in the discussions. I took my GMAT today and scored 710.

Looking forward to contribute to the GMAT community.

/Raj

Legendary Member

by aim-wsc » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:05 am
Raj,
congrats man
great score @ V42.
pretty impressive. you should also start on Verbal section here. I dont kno what happened to aother mods. :wink:

now head to https://www.beatthegmat.com/viewforum.php?f=15
:)

by rajs.kumar » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:39 am
thanks aim.

Lets say it was a mixed and confusing feeling yesterday. I expected a strong math and low verbal (considering my background), results were different. I think my quant score would do no good to my MBA app.

Yes I will post my experience.

/Raj

Legendary Member

by aim-wsc » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:51 am
I am not sure whether i should reply here or not..

since i am not in the Moderators Club 8)

still my member status is upgraded and this i must inform you here.

as we had some discussion https://www.beatthegmat.com/viewtopic.php?t=937

I am joining the board as a Monitor :evil:
:twisted:
& I am green now :mrgreen:

so SPAMMERS be 'ware! :evil:

Monitor s around :twisted:

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:30 pm
aim-wsc wrote:I am not sure whether i should reply here or not..

since i am not in the Moderators Club 8)

still my member status is upgraded and this i must inform you here.

as we had some discussion https://www.beatthegmat.com/viewtopic.php?t=937

I am joining the board as a Monitor :evil:
:twisted:
& I am green now :mrgreen:

so SPAMMERS be 'ware! :evil:

Monitor s around :twisted:
Watch out, SPAMMERS! Johny's dangerous!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Community Manager
Followed by:3 members

by isisalaska » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:38 am
Hi!
I am delighted to be a new moderator in this great community. My name is Isis and I need to take the GMAT to be admitted to a Ph.D. Program in Business Administration this Fall. I earned an MBA in 2000 so the last time I took the GMAT was in 1998!
Since then I have worked as an auditor and now as an accountant. Nevertheless, I am stronger in the verbal section (at least based on the GMAT results form Feb. this year) therefore, I feel I can contribute better in this area.

Since I found this forum I have been “addicted” checking the posts many times a day. Everyone has been very helpful and nice answering questions and I am planning to do the same.

I look forward to helping make this forum strong. Good luck!!!
Isis Alaska

Legendary Member

by aim-wsc » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:47 am
New moderators are added and we dont know their background!

Introduce yourself.