New job just before R2 deadline - Yay / Nay ?

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:2 members
Hello,

I am a 33 y/o female intl re-applicant. Due to some personal challenges (no visa sponsorship and spouse had a serious medical condition), I have not been employed for the last 10 months. Prior to that I had a stellar work record.

Although I got my new job offer 2 months ago, I can start only on Nov 29th so I could wrap up work related to the medical issue. Unfortunately, this coincides with Haas' r2 date.

Just fyi, I wasn't idle during the last 10 months : I was involved part-time in significant volunteering initiatives and ensured my skills were up to date by completing some key industry certifications.

My questions are :

1. I am a re-appplicant from fall 2012 R4 of Haas. I could not apply in R1 this year because of the above situation. Does it make sense and is it feasible to apply in R2 by stating facts as-is or will it hurt my chances ? It feels weird that I will begin my new job on a R2 date. The other option is to wait it out until R3 (jan '13) but I worry that I will be stuck with the same disadvantages of last year's R4 and may be rejected. What's the best thing to do ?

2. What would your recommendation be for other schools with R2 dates in Jan 3 - 9th 2013 ? Will it be relatively safe to apply at that point ?

3. The last option is drastic - but may do it but if that's really the only best thing to do: Would applying next fall make sense instead ?

Would love to get some expert advice. Thanks in advance !!

Thanks

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:28 members

by Heidi Granner » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:48 am
Hello dallasgirl,

My thoughts on your questions are as follows:
-We find Haas R2 and R3 to be very similar in competitiveness (vs R4, which is much more difficult).
-I suggest using the Optional Essay portion of each school's application to explain why you have not had full-time employment in the last 10 months and are just now starting a new job. Here's our guidance on how to best utilize the optional essay section of the application: https://blog.clearadmit.com/2012/08/admi ... nal-essay/.
-It sounds like this year is the best year for you to apply given you are above the standard age range for these schools already and you prefer to go this year. That said, submitting high-quality applications is the most important aspect so if you are not able to devote enough time given lingering health issues and starting a new job, then you might want to focus instead on a smaller number of schools.

Hope that helps. Please reach out to [email protected] for a free detailed profile evaluation.

Best,
Heidi

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by dallasgirl » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:06 am
Heidi,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it !

Going by your feedback that R2 and R3 are equally matched - are you saying that I could shoot for R3 instead ? Let me add some more details I gathered :

Since this issue bothered me so much, I explained my situation and spoke to an ad-com member at haas who told me that since the 2 dates are apart by just 1 month, I could just apply for R2 and that it would not hurt my chances if that's the only major delta in my file b/w R2 and R3.

Can I safely go by this recommendation ? Or must I be cautious just the same and shoot for R3 ?

Please let me know.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:28 members

by Heidi Granner » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:33 pm
I think you should apply in the earliest round in which you have a high-quality application prepared. So if you can complete in time for Round 2, then go ahead and apply then.

Heidi