New here!

Welcome to the Beat The GMAT community! Tell us about yourself
This topic has expert replies
2007 Beat The GMAT Scholarship Winner!

New here!

by gothedistance » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:14 am
Hi everyone,
I just joined the boards as I am planning on starting to study for my GMAT very soon. I'll be applying either this fall or next fall. I currently live in NY with my family but we are moving to South Carolina as soon as we sell our house.

I am a 31 year old female currently home (well, I work 9 hours a week)with 3 children, a 3 year old girl and one year old twin boys. You might think I am insane for considering b-school, but really, if I can handle the kids I can do anything!

Danielle
Applying to b-school for fall 2009 depending on our relocation status
Mother of 3, 1 girl and b/b twins
motivated/dedicated student of the world

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:17 pm
Welcome to the Beat The GMAT community, Danielle!

Sounds like you've got a lot on your hands these days--just know that you have a community here to help you succeed in your GMAT prep and MBA admissions.

Best of luck to you!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

MBA Admissions Consultant

by MBAPodcaster » Thu May 31, 2007 4:15 pm
Hi Danielle!

Wow... 3 kids and now b-school! I think that's great. Are you considering an evening/part-time program? Or are you thinking of going full-time?

We have a few podcasts that might be helpful as you embark on the b-school journey:

The 360 Degree Guide to Applying For & Getting Your MBA: Everything You Need to Know for a Successful MBA

Also:
Women & Minorities in B. School: How an MBA Can Propel Your Career

Keep us posted! And good luck!
Janet
MBA Podcaster

2007 Beat The GMAT Scholarship Winner!

by gothedistance » Thu May 31, 2007 4:51 pm
Hi, just got my first 1gb shuffle this year, so I have never listened to a podcast! maybe I should look into it!

I am looking only at full time programs. I have only worked part time since my first was born, so I have been out of the full time workforce since July 2003. I think it would be extremely hard for me to gain the contacts/career support for someone in my situation in a part time or EMBA setting. My career has also jumped around a bit as well. I'm looking to get into brand management or some sort of face-forward job as one of my strengths is sales. I have a solid undergrad education as well which I hope will help.

I'll be 33 when I enter b-school! Scary, sure! But I'll have at least 30 years to have a great career!

Danielle
Applying to b-school for fall 2009 depending on our relocation status
Mother of 3, 1 girl and b/b twins
motivated/dedicated student of the world

MBA Admissions Consultant

by MBAPodcaster » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:39 am
The average age for many of the full-time programs is 28-29 so you aren't far off.

Last week, I visited the UCLA Anderson campus and met quite a few married students with kids! They've sort of built their own group of friends and provide support to each other. Also, there's usually a women's club/group that can provide you with support in that aspect. You'll most likely be a minority - usually only 30% of a class are women - so it's great that you're adding to the numbers.

I was talking with a Chicago GSB female student and she said, if you're single, you'll be hot commodity. Ha!

Good luck again. Here's an article from Business Week on the different GMAT test prep companies, if you're going down that route.

https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/co ... 855049.htm
Janet
MBA Podcaster