Need to know my target schools

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Need to know my target schools

by kaiming20 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:16 am
Hi,

I wanted to find out what schools I should target.

I have an Undergrad GPA of 3.66 and a Graduate GPA of 3.76. Both degrees are in Civil Engineering with an emphasis in Structural Engineering.

My GMAT is a 700 (49Q 36V)

I have worked for one small structural engineering firm for 3.25 years until I recently got laid off. I hope to obtain my PE in the next couple of months. I am also a LEED AP, which is an environmental design certification for people who want to be involved in sustainable construction. I have been using this time to take the GMAT and work on applications.

My biggest weakness is my work experience. Because of the size of the firm projects were done on an individual basis. I did learn over the years how to communicate effectively when dealing with architects, engineers, and contractors. I'm not sure how my engineering background, which is very technical, stacks up to the consulting people of the world.

Extracurricular wise I am a Big Brother at Big Brothers Big Sisters which I have been doing for almost two years now.

I want to go into general management and go back into the engineering field as a project manager. I'm also open to switching careers as well.

Can I target a top 10 school? Which schools should I be looking at? Thanks for your help!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:39 am
Hi and thank you for your inquiry.

There are so many factors that go into school selection that I really can't suggest any specific ones. Some questions to ask yourself though, outside of rankings, are - do you want a large class size or small? An urban setting (easier access to recruiters but probably less of a community feel) or a more remote one? Do you want a school with a core curriculum, where for the first semester or year they tell you what classes to take, or are you looking for a school where from day 1 you are creating your own curriculum? These are all important factors that go into your selection of a school.

That being said, you have an interesting profile. Don't compare yourself to consultants only - business schools are looking to build a diverse class of people from all types of backgrounds. You have very good grades and scores, and I suspect if you look at your work experience more rigorously, because it was individual, you can show a lot of responsibility, working towards and achieving a goal, managing teams of contractors, dealing with difficult clients, etc. Your background also fits logically with your goals. Your Big Brother work is good, especially because you have been doing it for so long, but I do see the community side of your profile as a slight weakness.

I think you have a reasonable chance at a top ten school, from what you have indicated. A lot will depend on your essays and letters of recommendation, but you seem like an interesting candidate.

Good luck.
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php