Need to get up quant score in 6 weeks. Advice??

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Ok, so I took the GMAT back in Dec without studying at all and got a 600. My English was on the 95th percentile, my quant on the 30th. I went to terrible high schools and avoided math in college.

I studied up on my own and retook it. My score only went up 10 points, and I was devastated. My verbal somehow dropped to the 84th percentile, my quant went up to the 48th percentile, so at least I'm like average now.

Anyway, I applied to colleges anyway. Got into Tulane (with scholarship), waitlisted at Cornell, waiting to hear back from others. I have a very strong application otherwise--not gradewise, but I have my own business and a very unique background and unique career experiences that the schools loved. My interviews went well.

I really really want to go to Cornell, my top choice--I met personally with several people on the adcom, including the director. But of course they are concerned about my GMAT quant, and said between the lines if I can get it up to the 65th percentile, I'll have a pretty good shot.

I have till the end of June. How should I go about studying? its not enough time to take a class, and I think the class would be too general anyway. I dont need help on the verbal--I got 6's on my AWAs both times and my essays are great, and they said I have great communication skills, so theyre not concerned about that. They just want to make sure I can handle the core classes. So what is the best way to really get up the quant score? One big problem I have is running out of time--so I need to work on speed.
Last edited by Sakina on Sat May 17, 2008 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by i.aspire » Wed May 14, 2008 5:29 pm
Hi Sakina,

Its good to know you have a nice chance of getting into Cornell.
To improve on your Quant, please revise your Quant basics from some Math book(eg: kaplan premier or manhattan). Thereafter solve the OG 11 and OG Quant Review under timed conditions giving particular importance to last 100 Questions in both PS and DS. If you need more practice, you can solve Kaplan 800. There is also 1000 series available for both PS and DS on internet.

Make sure to practice under timed conditions. Thereafter, 4 -5 mock tests (eg : GMAT prep tests ) should help you test your math skills.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by harshie » Fri May 16, 2008 2:31 am
65th percentile can be achieved even by taking up the basics in quant. Donot go in for difficult questions when you practice. take up basic questions and have clarity of concepts.

That should do the trick. :wink:
You can achieve much more with a gun and a kind word than with a kind word alone!!!