Need some help.

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Need some help.

by 13AshleyF13 » Sat May 16, 2009 9:12 am
vvv
Last edited by 13AshleyF13 on Sun May 17, 2009 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Paxton Helms - Kaplan » Sat May 16, 2009 10:29 am
Hello! And thanks for your good question.

If you are planning to get an MBA, then, yes, you need at least two years of work experience. There are lots of good reasons: you get some real world experience to sharpen your focus and clarify your goals; you bring something (besides your native intelligence and undergraduate studies) to your classes and internshp; business schools get a chance to see how you stack up in the real world which is a better indicator of your business potential than anything else.

If you are planning to go in, say, math, or marketing research, or something like that (i.e., business-related but not an MBA), then the rules may be a bit more flexible. There are lots of types of degrees out there so I can't really give an iron rule.

It sounds like you have a solid academic record and probably on the short list for a full-time slot with E&Y or one of their competitors. I would suggest staying on that track for a year or two then evaluating your options. One thing that I see more and more of is two years of an E&Y type job and then another two or three in something more specialized then a great MBA and a really focused post-MBA position for which the person is very well prepared.

Does this answer your question?

Cheers--

Paxton
Keep me in the loop about your thinking and let me know if you have any more questions.

Paxton

Paxton Helms is an MBA admissions consultant for Kaplan Admissions Consulting. He earned his MBA from UCLA and specializes in helping clients that are applying to top twenty and "reach" programs. He can be reached directly at [email protected].

To begin working with Paxton immediately, follow this link and request him specifically: https://www.kaptest.com/GMAT/Admissions- ... lting.html

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by 13AshleyF13 » Sat May 16, 2009 10:51 am
Thank you so much for your feedback. I do have one more question, do you think it would be OK if i studied hard and take a prep course this summer and use those scores to apply in a few years? I seem to think i would have more time now to prepare for the exam than i will in the future. The score is good for 5 years, right?

Thanks again-

Ashley

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Paxton Helms - Kaplan » Mon May 18, 2009 12:50 pm
I believe that the scores are good for two years but you should be sure to double-check.

Other than that, I think holding off makes a lot of good sense.

Paxton
Keep me in the loop about your thinking and let me know if you have any more questions.

Paxton

Paxton Helms is an MBA admissions consultant for Kaplan Admissions Consulting. He earned his MBA from UCLA and specializes in helping clients that are applying to top twenty and "reach" programs. He can be reached directly at [email protected].

To begin working with Paxton immediately, follow this link and request him specifically: https://www.kaptest.com/GMAT/Admissions- ... lting.html