Need help

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Need help

by paritosh_b » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:56 am
In a seven to four vote last week,Crane country officials decided to raise property taxes when it might have been expected for it to be lowered.

A. same as above
B. they might have been expected to have reduced them
C. they might have been expected that it should be reduced
D. its reducing might have been expected
E. there might have been an expectation for them to be reduced

B

I am not sure why this is the correct answer.
Can someone please clarify?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by kapur.arnav » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:06 am
paritosh_b wrote:In a seven to four vote last week,Crane country officials decided to raise property taxes when it might have been expected for it to be lowered.
A. same as above - property taxes is plural, we can't use it, as it is singular...
B. they might have been expected to have reduced them - best choice...
C. they might have been expected that it should be reduced - same reason as A
D. its reducing might have been expected - its - same reason as A plus usage of reducing introduces a parallelism error....
E. there might have been an expectation for them to be reduced - akward and wordy...

hope i was able to articulate.... What is the source of the q...

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:45 members
GMAT Score:760

by Jim@Grockit » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:36 pm
kapur.arnav wrote:
paritosh_b wrote:In a seven to four vote last week,Crane country officials decided to raise property taxes when it might have been expected for it to be lowered.
A. same as above - property taxes is plural, we can't use it, as it is singular...
D. its reducing might have been expected - its - same reason as A plus usage of reducing introduces a parallelism error....
E. there might have been an expectation for them to be reduced - akward and wordy...

Actually, in choice B, they refers to the Crane county officials, while them refers to the taxes.

by missionGMAT007 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:21 pm
even though i selected B, i do not think the question is genuine. What is the source of the question?

I am not sure we can use 'they' and 'them' in the they are used in answer choice B

Can somebody answer this.

by kapur.arnav » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:51 am
Jim@Grockit wrote:
kapur.arnav wrote:

Actually, in choice B, they refers to the Crane county officials, while them refers to the taxes.
absolutely!!!