Need help in knowing whether my expectations are too high..

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I gave a few sample GMAT tests and am getting 760+ scores.I have a feeling that I will do well in the final one too(giving it a month from now). Though I am giving GMAT to just get over it right now.Planning to join a college in 3 years(currently in my final year of undergrad degree).The thing is that my fianl gpa will be quite low..somewhere around 2.6. Can I expect a good college(top5/10) either in Europe or US??(I was thinking about Harward/Warton/INSEAD/IES..etc)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:740

by zorya » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:16 am
I don't think you are expecting too much! If you want to get into a top b-school, nothing should stop you :)
My take: get a great score in GMAT and gather up some good work-ex over the next few years. You have lots of time and I don't think a low GPA should bother you too much. Also, do some research on which schools you want to apply to and figure out how they'll fit into your career goals.

Hope this helps :) Good luck with the GMAT.
My GMAT score: 740 [Q:48, V:42]

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:42 members
GMAT Score:740

by Jessica@VeritasPrep » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:22 am
It is great that you are thinking ahead! I agree with the previous poster that you have plenty of time to get your resume (experience & LORs) in shape so that you can be a strong candidate for a top school. As you know, Harvard & Wharton are very competitive programs and even with a higher GPA you would still have your work cut out for you. Anything below a 3.0 puts you at a significant disadvantage, but, if you have a great GMAT score (750ish) and if your experience is impressive, you could have a shot at a top 20 school. Another factor could be your GPA trend. If it is favorable (better grades the last years and better grades in rigorous math/finance courses) then the lower overall GPA can be slightly mitigated.

Lastly, if you are serious about targeting a top school, I would suggest taking a few business courses in the years to come so that you have a transcript with higher grades to show the Adcom. A high GMAT will show that you are bright but higher grades will help show that you are capable of succeeding in an academic environment.

I hope that helps! Good luck to you!
Jessica
MBA Admissions Consultant
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options