Need help in applying to B-School

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Need help in applying to B-School

by mudit_verma » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:12 am
Hi,

I took GMAT yesterday and my score is 670, i want to know how good the score hold to get one among the top 25 B-Schools or Univ. I would also like to know about the prospect of universal aid or scholarship available with this score.

If i need to retake the GMAT exam, when should i schedule the test so that i will be applicable for this yr's MBA program.

Forgot to mention, I have 3 yrs of work ex (2.5 in India & .5 in US) in Telecomm domain.

Please reply soon.......

Thanks in advance.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:750

by Graham » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:30 am
Dear Mudit_Verma,

Thanks for your post!

As to your questions:

1) GMAT competitiveness: Your score of 670 will fall below the average at the top 20 MBA programs. Obviously, it will be further below average at top 10 schools (often featuring an average of 710+) than it might be at schools 10-20. Having said that, I'd need to know more about the section-by-section breakdown of your score in order to give you more detailed feedback on your result. I'm also curious to know if you have taken the exam more than once. If your 670 result came on the first sitting, you may want to think about retaking it. Finally, you may already know this, but I suspect you are in an over-subscribed part of the applicant pool (Indian, engineer, working in technology). As such, due to fierce competition, the bar is perhaps raised even higher when it comes to the GMAT.

2) Scholarships/Financial Aid based on GMAT performance: A score of 670 will not put you in a good position for any merit-based scholarships. Keep in mind that many applicants to top programs have scored 730+ on their GMAT. You should also note that many of these applicants graduated with great marks from undergraduate. Of course, if you are looking to take loans for business school, your GMAT will not be a factor.

3) If you are applying to b-school to start next fall (fall 2009), you should ideally apply to leading MBA programs in Round Two (most deadlines fall in January). As such, you should plan to re-take the test between now and early January. Since you get your result at the exam - immediately following completion of the test - you only need to take it before the deadlines for the schools on your list (since you self-report test scores on the online application).

If you'd like more in-depth feedback, feel free to send your resume/CV to Clear Admit for a free 30-minute session with one of our counselors.

Best of luck,

Graham
Graham Richmond
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by mudit_verma » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:57 pm
Hi Graham,

Thanks for your feedback.

As asked by you the section-by-section breakdown of my score is:

Quantitative: 50
Verbal: 31

Yes i took the GMAT for the first time. This is what i can comprehend from your suggestion: I can retake the test anytime around DEC end or Jan beginning and still be applicable for the round 2. However, for financial aid I may require a score of 730+.

If i take loan and finance is not the factor, score of 670 still be dicey to get into a good B-School. Particularly, if I am looking for University of Boston, HAAS, and Kelly. Please correct me if i am wrong.

I will really like to send my CV for the in depth feedback and will send it shortly. I will look forward for feedback to confirm my decision 0f retaking the test.