Need help deciding on schools to apply

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Need help deciding on schools to apply

by rachelmathew » Sun May 18, 2014 9:28 pm
Hi,
I am looking to apply this fall to Top MBA schools in the US. I have been able to finalise on only one school till now - Darden. Please go through my profile and let me know which other 4-5 schools I should target.

Education :

BTech IIT, CGPA :8.392 (Passed out May 2012)

Work-ex:

Project Engineer, Fast-track management development program,Wipro Technologies, a major IT firm in India( July,2012 - April, 2013)

Analyst, Auctus Advisors, a Management consulting firm ( May 2013 - Present)

Director- a web-based education start-up , still in incubation phase(Dec,2014 - Present)

Extra- curriculars:
A member of the YWCA,
Have held a few important positions in college student body.
Core team member of the college cultural fest
Participated in Dramatics and Fashion Show.

Post MBA, I am targeting to get into general management roles - preferably in tech/start-up/non-profit.
I would really appreciate it if you can guide me as to what schools I have a good chance in based on my profile.

Thanks,
Rachel

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Eliot » Thu May 29, 2014 2:28 pm
Hi Rachel,

Thank you for your post!

Considering that you are interested in Darden, does that mean you are looking for MBA programs on the smaller side? What about Darden has piqued your interest? In terms of your general chances, I can see several potential strengths in your candidacy, so it would be great to get to know what matters to you in terms of an MBA experience. It would also help to know your GMAT score. While not a sole determining factor in the admissions process, it is one of many key data points that would be useful.

Given your career interest in general management, you could consider a range of schools. Yale School of Management is on the smaller side (like Darden) and is known for their support of students in non-profit. Given your interest in tech, you may consider being closer to Silicon Valley, e.g. Berkeley / Haas, UCLA / Anderson. We also just heard from Olivia Kelley at the AIGAC conference that 15% of Babson graduates found companies upon graduation, if you are more inclined toward start-ups. Wharton, CBS and INSEAD also spoke about their strengths in entrepreneurship at the AIGAC conference. This is a preliminary list based on your mention of tech/start-up/non-profit, but there are several factors you will want to consider, such as location, size of the student body, etc. Overall, all of the top MBA programs are well-equipped to prepare you for a career in general management. Therefore, it may help you to further refine and enrich your career vision; that way, you can determine the specific skills and experience you want from an MBA.

Please feel free to contact us for a free consultation if you would like to discuss your career history, career plans and school prospects further: https://www.clearadmit.com/services/free-consultation/
Eliot Ingram
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.