need expert help

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

need expert help

by faraday88 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:10 am
92. Which of the following, if true, provides evidence that most logically completes the argument below?
According to a widely held economic hypothesis, imposing strict environmental regulations reduces economic growth. This hypothesis is undermined by the fact that the states with the strictest environmental regulations also have the highest economic growth. This fact does not show that environmental regulations promote growth, however, since ______.

A. those states with the strictest environmental regulations invest the most in education and job training
B. Even those states that have only moderately strict environmental regulations have higher growth than those with the least-strict regulations
C. many states that are experiencing reduced economic growth are considering weakening their environmental regulations
D. after introducing stricter environmental regulations, many states experienced increased economic growth
E. even those states with very weak environmental regulations have experienced at least some growth

OA is A, but I think it is E. can someone help pls?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:143 members

by Kasia@EconomistGMAT » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:55 am
Answer A is correct because it states that economic growth is not connected to the level of environmental regulations. This answer provides an alternative explanation of this situation. Economic growth is directly related to the amount of funds invested in educations and job training. Therefore, economic growth is NOT the result of strict environmental regulations.

Answer E, on the other hand, states that countries with weak regulations also experience some growth. This answer is too broad. It does not give any evidence to support the stand that economic growth and environmental regulations are two independent factors.
Kasia
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT - the #1 rated GMAT course

"¢ If you found my post helpful, please click the "thank" button and/or follow me.

"¢ Take a 7 day free trial and find out why Economist GMAT is the highest rated GMAT course - https://gmat.economist.com/

"¢ Read GMAT Economist reviews - https://reviews.beatthegmat.com/economis ... mat-course

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by hjafferi » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:06 am
IMO A because we need to show that economic growth in these states is due to some other reason.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by ziko » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:14 pm
I think this question is not very good because in choice A it is assumed that investing in education and job training are essential factors for economic growth. I agree that choice E is too broad.

What do you think Kasia@MasterGMAT

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by mohan514 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:34 pm
how can we assume that investing on education is going to contribute for the economic growth

please clarify..