Need advise on my profile

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Need advise on my profile

by maverick2k6 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:47 am
Hi,

Could you please advise me on my profile.

I am an Indian who works in the IT space who wants to shift to Finance from IT specially Money Management by doing an MBA from the top schools.

My Profile:
GPA: 3.5
GMAT: 690 (Awaiting AWA score)
TOEFL: 297 (AWA: 6)
Background: Male, Indian
Age: 23 years young (24 months full-time experience by Fall 07’)
Undergrad Major: Engineer, Electronics and Telecommunication

Career Goal:
Post my MBA I would like to work with one of the top banks Wealth Management departments. Eventually in the long run have a PMS of my own.

Work Experience:
Currently I work with a multinational on the ERP front. In about 2 months will start moving to the functional part. A 6-month onsite assignment is also in the pipeline soon. As of now both my supervisors are completely impressed and happy with me. Even though I am barely 13 months old on the job and there are other senior people on the team I take care of all the offshore responsibilities. My supervisor thinks that I am capable enough to handle things on my own and that is the reason he has not brought any senior resources on the team although 2 senior resources left back to back. He has given me 2 new joinees on the project and said this is a challenge to train them and keep things rolling. As of now I think I am upto the task. I also mentored a fresher for the last 4 months. He has matured now and is doing well on the project.

Extra-Curricular:
I have been instrumental in forming this club, from February 06, of college friends who donate money and help 2 NGOs both financially and personally. Everyone agrees to the fact that I was the most influential person in forming and now keeping things kicking. One is a sports-school that is developing national athletes. The Beijing 2008 olympics is what most of the stars of this school are targeting. The other is a school that teaches slum children. I personally take Computer classes there twice a month.

Other Interests:
In addition I give lectures on investments and stocks and mutual funds in particular as I personally think that this awareness in the new generation is almost non-existant. I have given lectures for the batch of new joinees in my office and continue to do so amongst my friend circles. Its more like they come to me for financial decision making. This led me to eventually getting an offer from a class that takes such courses. Unfortunately because I could not match timings I couldn’t take the offer. This is all because I have keen interest in the Capital and Financial Markets in India. Have been following them for the past 3 years now. Been investing for about the same time too. This keen interest led me to finish some courses offered by BSE. Topped the exams too.

The fact that without any professional knowledge I have been advising my friends and relatives on their financial needs and that it has worked perfect till now has led me to decide that I want to take up Wealth Management as a career.

What schools would you recommend for Wealth Management. ALso which ones would be the safety schools. From what I have made out so far,
Wharton, Chicago, Stern are the ones that have the top Finance programmes.

I cant exactly decide which other schools I should apply

I am sorry for taking so much of your time.
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by maverick2k6 on Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Swanand

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:25 pm
You have identified the top finance programs. Of the schols you listed, Stern is probably the least competitive, but none of them would be considered safety schools. For a safety school you will hav eto look at schools that are not ranked as highly. You can contact some target firms and see where they recruit. For the type of job you are pursuing, you may not do strictly on campus recruiting and there may be local schools that will provide you with a strong finance background and perhaps more importantly, a valuable and useful network.
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me