Need advice..please help..second attempt 700 (Q50, V34)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

Just wanted some feedback on my final score and should I retake (frankly not too keen)....

A brief background about myself: I am 31 years of age and have got an MBA from a top 5 B-school in India. I am currently working in on the Advisory side of what is known as the Big 4 and am bored of it. I have an overall experience of around 7 years experience post MBA (none before MBA).

I got a 640 on my first attempt (47,34) but would be fair to say that I underestimated the test, took practice tests only the week before the final day.

I took my second attempt today and managed a 700

Q: 50 (Percentile 93%)
V: 34 (Percentile 68%)

I am planning to apply only to INSEAD and maybe IMD, Switzerland. The primary objective is to get through some sexy Consulting firms which wont even look at my resume today.

I want to know if my Verbal scores could act as a dealbreaker for me. I am not very keen to take the exam again, but will if have to, was hoping for some feedback from some people here.

My Prep scores

GMAT Prep 1: 700 (3 weeks ago) (Scores: Q49, V34)
GMAT Prep 1: 710 (2 weeks ago) (Scores: Q48, V40)

MGMAT CAT 1: 680 (Scores: Q49, V34)
MGMAT CAT 2: 710 (Scores: Q48, V38)
MGMAT CAT 3: 730 (Scores: Q48, V42)
MGMAT CAT 4: 690 (Scores: Q50, V34) (4 days b4 the test)

As can be seen above, tremendous improvement in Math, and fluctuating verbal scores....Math: thanks only to MGMAT, none of the other books measure up....I am amazed that MGMAT has been able to present inequalities, number systems, Geometry so concisely. I also think the Math part in their tests is really difficult but your algorith scores make up for it when it gives the final output.

The verbal part was far more difficult than what I had encountered in GMAT Prep or MGMATs, it was far more verbose than what I had experienced earlier, too much reading to be done.

Anways, I wish I had come across LSAT RCs and CRs earlier, might have helped and SC was kind of the same, could just hope for the best.

Pls do not underestimate the test, you ll be in for a rude shock if you do......if you are a guy with above average intelligence, you ll need to be exposed to the Question Banks and Tests to get a 700+ score since the OG's are definitely not sufficient...

Guys: please give some advice....have a month b4 INSEAD R2

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Dan@VinciaPrep » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:18 am
albeitmaybe wrote:Hi,

I took my second attempt today and managed a 700

Q: 50 (Percentile 93%)
V: 34 (Percentile 68%)

I want to know if my Verbal scores could act as a dealbreaker for me. I am not very keen to take the exam again, but will if have to, was hoping for some feedback from some people here.

Guys: please give some advice....have a month b4 INSEAD R2
Here's what the INSEAD website says

While we do not have a minimum GMAT score required for admission, we advise candidates to aim for a score at or above the 70th-75th percentile for both the quantitative and verbal sections of the test. Please keep in mind, however, that the GMAT is just one of several admission criteria. A high score does not guarantee admission, and a below average score does not eliminate a candidate.

You're pretty close to the 70th percentile. If I were you I would write INSEAD and see what they say. I've written them a couple times and they are pretty good about responding. If you do write them could you please let me know what they say?
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

I'm a private tutor in Paris, I provide online and in person consulting for the GMAT and MBA application essays.
GMAT tutor paris
Prepa GMAT