Need a score of 730 - 740. Target date Fourth Week of July

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Another GMAT prep

by amitk7771 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:10 am
I did the Second GMAT prep today.

GMAT Prep 2 ( Q 50, V 44) - 770.

It feels great !! :lol: with test day only couple of days ahead.

There were a few questions may be 5-10% in both Q and V, which I had seen. But not as many as GMAT Prep 1 ( Retake).

Net, net it was a good effort and I did great on timing.

Just hope actual GMAT is the same.

by dellybean » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:50 pm
Good luck!

GMAT Expirience - Disappointed.

by amitk7771 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:37 am
I appeared for GMAT on 8th Aug, scoring 710. ( Q 45, V 42). I was very disappointed after the test

Why I got a lesser score :

1). I made the classical mistake of not cutting down losses in Quant. What is worse, I totally screwed it up by double checking even the easiest questions, that left no time for for the last - time consuming 20 odd questions. Even an average performance in Maths would have ensured a 740-750, which was my target.

2) My feeling is that the test was tougher than GMAT Prep 2. Verbal had long passages and CR was full of EXCEPT, NOT Weaken, evaluate hypothesis and flaw in reasoning questions.

3) I was overconfident due to GMAT Prep 2 (770) but in reality I did not have enough practice on full length tests.

Why I don't feel so bad
1. As IIMA EMBA's last date to submit application is tomorrow 11 Aug, I could not have delayed the test. So I had no choice. For a 9-week prep, it is a decent score.

2. This score still makes me competitive for other EMBA's that I am targeting this year, while giving me a good shot at IIMA itself.

3. I have learnt a lot from GMAT preparation. My english has vastly improved. My emails and presentation are now crisp, clear and people have noted the difference.

4. Having skills in CR has its own advantages. In my company we need to give and evaluate a lot of presentations where we are trying to convince somebody on some piont of view. Now, when I see a slide, I am immediately thinking - What is that weakens the arguement, What strengthens, Is the data right ?

Net , net it was good effort.

Retake ?

Yes, I think so. I am fully prepared and 2-3 weeks of practice on full length tests will be enough to score 750,

I am now familiar with the test center things.

The last date of all other EMBA applications are in Nov 2008. So there is lot of time.

Lastly

If anybody has an idea whether they will average out my scores, please let me know. I am applying to ISB , IIM-L , IIM -B and XLRI EMBA's.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Re: GMAT Expirience - Disappointed.

by crak.gmat » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:48 pm
Congrats dude, 710 is a good score and you have a good shot at the schools listed in your post.
amitk7771 wrote:I appeared for GMAT on 8th Aug, scoring 710. ( Q 45, V 42). I was very disappointed after the test

Why I got a lesser score :

1). I made the classical mistake of not cutting down losses in Quant. What is worse, I totally screwed it up by double checking even the easiest questions, that left no time for for the last - time consuming 20 odd questions. Even an average performance in Maths would have ensured a 740-750, which was my target.

2) My feeling is that the test was tougher than GMAT Prep 2. Verbal had long passages and CR was full of EXCEPT, NOT Weaken, evaluate hypothesis and flaw in reasoning questions.

3) I was overconfident due to GMAT Prep 2 (770) but in reality I did not have enough practice on full length tests.

Why I don't feel so bad
1. As IIMA EMBA's last date to submit application is tomorrow 11 Aug, I could not have delayed the test. So I had no choice. For a 9-week prep, it is a decent score.

2. This score still makes me competitive for other EMBA's that I am targeting this year, while giving me a good shot at IIMA itself.

3. I have learnt a lot from GMAT preparation. My english has vastly improved. My emails and presentation are now crisp, clear and people have noted the difference.

4. Having skills in CR has its own advantages. In my company we need to give and evaluate a lot of presentations where we are trying to convince somebody on some piont of view. Now, when I see a slide, I am immediately thinking - What is that weakens the arguement, What strengthens, Is the data right ?

Net , net it was good effort.

Retake ?

Yes, I think so. I am fully prepared and 2-3 weeks of practice on full length tests will be enough to score 750,

I am now familiar with the test center things.

The last date of all other EMBA applications are in Nov 2008. So there is lot of time.

Lastly

If anybody has an idea whether they will average out my scores, please let me know. I am applying to ISB , IIM-L , IIM -B and XLRI EMBA's.