My GMAT Xperience

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

My GMAT Xperience

by avbhagav » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:17 pm
After postponing it twice and preparing for over 4 months I finally had a very exciting GMAT experience. Since I am not a morning guy I booked for an afternoon slot starting from 11:30.Added to my tension was the very late announcement of the relocation of the GMAT exam centre.I had to start early to the test as I dint knoe the exat location.

Test Day-
Had a slightly heavy breakfast to make sure that i dont feel hungry during the marathon exam. There it goes, my gmat adventure began.....Surprisingly, I easily spotted the centre despite the change in location and so . . . . huh! Reached the centre very early.This was one of the most irritating experience as they dint let me into the hall and so had to wait outside for more than 20 mins --- Tensed ,,,,,, Excited ,,,,,,, Frustrated ,,,,,, --- waiting desperately for THE GMAT Experience.

Ahh! Finally they let me in and asked for my ID proof .I gave them and sat in the waiting room with a million thoughts creeping into my mind . Though I tried to stay calm and cool but trust me ... practically thats tough. No...Not Again!! The centre co-ordinator walked upto me and said "Sir ,there is an issue with your name in the id proof".I was frustrated with myself and about the way things were going on till then, after a brief argument I convinced him and atlast Im ready to take the test. hoping that things don,t worsen from here on..

AWA
The test began and I was asked to choose the colleges to which I intend to report my scores. As I already shortlisted these I moved on very quickly to the next section - AWA. In this section I strictly decided that m not going to try and do something xtraordinary but juss try to give them wa t they are lukin in a good essay. One hour of this section passed as though it were a couple of mins.......

Kwel!!!! I am satisfying with my writing and went to take a break - Just drank some water -

MATH

All set to rock my favourite section. First few Qs were tough and tougher question kept rolling on till on point whr I was stuck ....... So long that that I lost track of time, then realized it and started to hurry .Inspite of this , I was still out of time . While I was struggling to solve the questions as fast as possible , I had an inner feeling that Im losing on my strongest section.HUH!!! alas dint read the last Q *****TIME OUT****.

----------Totally dejected and disappointed I desperately need a break. I went out ---------------
Drank Water - Sat thinkin about my dismal performance in Math -cursing myself. GOSH!!!WAT HAVE I DONE!!!
"EXCUSE ME ! , U R LATE FOR UR NEXT SECTION"GMAT Co-ordinator
WAT!! I was shell shocked, frustrated tht there was no clock in the waiting room, I was helpless and knew tht I ruined my test.

VA

Finally, got into the hall started Verbal Section , dint have the guts to luk at the timer ,but had to, it said '71:23' . I gave up all I wanted is to finish this test and go home ; I knew Im coming back here again. First few Qs were easy .. most of them were easy I started answering fast .. I knew I totally messed up so I was getting all easy ones. Last question 3 mins left .. finished answering it in 1 min and I was done with the test 2 mins with 2 mins to spare.
There was some personal information etc .. I was in no mood for all that and so reached the last page .
REPORT SCORE
CANCEL SCORE ------- 2 mins time
1:30 th - First decided to cancel....
50th sec - changed mind decided to report
36th sec- cancel �
12th sec - Finally reported!!!
Dint have the courage or guts to see the score ..so I was closing my eyes,expecting 620-650
And then when I opened .....

750 V 40 Q 50

Dint Believe , rubbed my eyes ,closed my eyes , pulled myself together for one gud look
Couldn't control my excitement shouted and banged the table ;) , everyone in the hall started staring at me ,in no time the co-ordinator was there with a very intimidqating look on his face and warned me that such behavior is unacceptable.
Who Cares!! I have a 750 :) ..He was talking, I was not listening. Came out took the score report and reached home .
I realized that I actually did well in VA, one advantage , no tension at all while doin it and that fetched me .
There ends my GMAT experience with twists and tales. Aaahh! Hell of an experience;Awesome !

by ajohnsn8 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:29 pm
Awesome story! I've been envisioning a similar one on my big day (especially the uncontrollable burst of emotion at the end ;) ). Congrats!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:700

by Turnpike » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:28 pm
Congratulations! i remember reading a quote somewhere. it said: "a lot many great things have been accomplished by tired, discouraged men who never stopped trying." You've just proved it right :)

PS. mine's abt 3 days away. and i'd kill for that score of your's :)

@Turnpike

by avbhagav » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:27 pm
Don't worry much..juss consider the exam as interesting game and go attack the test . Ul rock .All the best....

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by ogbeni » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:51 am
amazing!!!

by d0rna » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:27 am
Q50 and V40 generally end up in 730 or 740...kind of amazing that you made 750 out of it :) ..Congrats mate!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:20 am
CONGRATS!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Need some advice!!

by avbhagav » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:41 am
I realised that I am late to the application process and will be missing the round1 deadlines for most of the TOP schools..so will have to go for 2nd round...Does any one have an idea about to wat extent this is going to effect my admission..

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

Re: Need some advice!!

by beatthegmat » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:44 am
avbhagav wrote:I realised that I am late to the application process and will be missing the round1 deadlines for most of the TOP schools..so will have to go for 2nd round...Does any one have an idea about to wat extent this is going to effect my admission..
There pretty much is no difference between round 1 or round 2.

Good luck, look forward to hearing more about your progress!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

B-schools

by avbhagav » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:51 am
I am plannig for

1. Chicago Booth
2. Ross
3. INSEAD
4. Columbia

Am I being over ambitious!! ;)

by avbhagav » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:53 am
btw I have 3.5 gpa from top 10 college in India and a work-ex of 2.5 yrs from a reputed MNC --in IT

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by ogbeni » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:27 pm
avbhagav,

you gotta be ambitious