My GMAT strategy/tests

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

My GMAT strategy/tests

by nehs » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:08 pm
Hi all,
I am preparing for my GMAT - 2nd attempt and I am exactly a month away from my test day. I have taken 5 tests up to now and my scores are:
MGMAT CAT1 530 jan mid
MGMAT CAT2 530 jan mid
--- I took a Princeton Review test here - let's not even speak about it, totally useless
MGMAT CAT3 580 feb first week
mba.com test 600 taken last week
My Quant score averages at around 46 and VErbal varies from 25-30.

My questions are : are my scores all over the place or did I actually improve from my first prep test until the latest one(and is there more scope to improve)? I m confused if I should stop studying and take the test righaway, and score a 600 may be? Or study until one more month and aim for the 700 range?

Your thoughts?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:15 members

by eternal_optimist » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:37 am
Though apparently your last score has improved by 70 points as compared to your score on the first CAT, but I'd be a bit hesitant in saying that this necessarily implies that you're ready for at least a 600. I'd rather come to that conclusion if I were to score 600+ consistently on more than 3-4 CATs. Whether you should take the GMAT now or aim for a 700 depends more on which schools are you targeting. If the average GMAT score at the schools you're targeting is around 700, it'd definitely make sense for you to look for something around that. However, remember that everybody cannot score a 700+ ;one needs to be very realistic while preparing for the GMAT.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by nehs » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:20 am
Hello eternal_optimist, thanks for ur perspective!

As I decided to post an update here, I saw your reply. Incidentally, I scored a 590 on an MGMAT CAT taken just a few mins back.The break down was q 42, v30.
Actually, I found the Quant questions totally absurd! They were things that I rarely saw in GMAT prep. There were 3-4 quest on prob, 2 ques on some sick geometry stuff like a sphere inscribed in a cube etc....I am wondering if this test, especially the Quant was really hard!

Looks like, I am averaging at 590-600 now.My target school needs a 600 for a sure admit and a 580 would be safe too.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by vagabond79 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:46 pm
Has anybody given the practice CATs from Manhattan Review? I did well on the first one, but bombed in the 2nd. A difference of more than 100 points. Just want to see if anybody else has attempted the Manhattan Review (not Manhattan GMAT) CATs and if yes, what did you think?

https://sammy-roadtobschool.blocked/

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Adams Baker » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:27 pm
There's nothing particularly difficult about the GMAT or particularly brilliant about the people who do well on it. The GMAT tests basic grammar and reasoning skills and the math portion of the exam rarely goes beyond a 10th grade level. Knowing that, it might be surprisingly to learn that the average GMAT test taker gets only half of all the possible points available on the exam. That's because the test is designed to trick you and then take advantage of your mistakes.