Moths

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:690

Moths

by crackgmat007 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:37 am
Which of the following most logically completes the passage?
Each species of moth has an optimal body temperature for effective flight, and when air temperatures fall much below that temperature, the moths typically have to remain inactive on vegetation for extended periods, leaving them highly vulnerable to predators. In general, larger moths can fly faster than smaller ones and hence have a better chance of evading flying predators, but they also have higher optimal body temperatures, which explains why ______.
A. large moths are generally able to maneuver better in flight than smaller moths
B. large moths are proportionally much more common in warm climates than in cool climates
C. small moths are more likely than large moths to be effectively camouflaged while on vegetation
D. large moths typically have wings that are larger in proportion to their body size than smaller moths do
E. most predators of moths prey not only on several different species of moth but also on various species of other insects

Support your answers with reasoning. OA to follow.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by ManSab » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:46 am
is it B?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by ogbeni » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:49 am
I would go with A because
1. Stimulus states that "Each species of moth has an optimal body temperature for effective flight"
2. Last sentence reads "In general, larger moths can fly faster than smaller ones and hence have a better chance of evading flying predators, but they also have higher optimal body temperatures, which explains why ______." tells me the explanation given should address how the higher optimal body temperature addresses their 'better chance of evading flying predators"

My only reluctance is that Option A is so close to the Stimulus and from a test psychology stand point, folks would probably gravitate to A so I'm like hmmmmm.... :)

OA please!

by sanp_l » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:55 am
The answer has to be dependent on the high body temperature of bigger moths as the passage reads "but they also have higher optimal body temperatures, which explains why...".

Hence, B and D stand close and i guess why B wins is quite clear.
B cab be safely concluded.
Sandy

by ogbeni » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:14 am
crackgmat007 - please post the official explanation when you post the answer

by vikram_k51 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:20 am
Which of the following most logically completes the passage?
Each species of moth has an optimal body temperature for effective flight, and when air temperatures fall much below that temperature, the moths typically have to remain inactive on vegetation for extended periods, leaving them highly vulnerable to predators. In general, larger moths can fly faster than smaller ones and hence have a better chance of evading flying predators, but they also have higher optimal body temperatures, which explains why ______.
A. large moths are generally able to maneuver better in flight than smaller moths
B. large moths are proportionally much more common in warm climates than in cool climates
C. small moths are more likely than large moths to be effectively camouflaged while on vegetation
D. large moths typically have wings that are larger in proportion to their body size than smaller moths do
E. most predators of moths prey not only on several different species of moth but also on various species of other insects

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:690

by crackgmat007 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:38 am
As I dont have the OE, pls provide explanation for your answers instead of saying IMO...A, B or....Tx.

OA - B was debating between [spoiler]A & B[/spoiler]

by perfectstranger » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:23 am
They have better chance of evading with predators why because they can fly faster so they can maneuver better this is given but how they can fly faster because they live in warm climates thus warmer climate give chance to fly faster and maneuver better.
Please do not post answers visibly . Please hide them or post them later after the discussion.

Legendary Member
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:720

by maihuna » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:23 am
I choosed D, yet unsure why B, can any expert please chip in, DanaJ please.
Charged up again to beat the beast :)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by slash » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:53 pm
A. From the argument "More body temperature -> More effective flight". From this point choice A should be right.

B. It does not address the argument, it speaks about where the large moths are found in common. It cannot fit into the blanks.

C.There is no proof in the argument to assume this choice to be right.

D.Initiall it was a contender for me, but later realized body size is not discussed in the argument.

E.Is not relevant.

Legendary Member
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:720

by maihuna » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:23 am
slash wrote:A. From the argument "More body temperature -> More effective flight". From this point choice A should be right.
R u slashing a parallelism in SC?
Charged up again to beat the beast :)

by gmatv09 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:14 am
In general, larger moths can fly faster than smaller ones and hence have a better chance of evading flying predators,

Answers the following question, why larger moths evade predators effectively?

but they also have higher optimal body temperatures, which explains why ...

this part of the question need to explain the advantages of having higher optimal temp.

Hence ans. B

by james33 » Sun May 15, 2016 9:55 pm
I would go with option D as the correct option