Molten rock

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:680

Molten rock

by bravotalks » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:34 pm
Geologists once thought that the molten rock known as lava was an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days, sporadically erupting through volcanoes, but they now know that it is continuously created by the heat of the radioactivity deep inside the planet.
(A) was an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days, sporadically erupting
(B) had been an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days and sporadically erupted
(C) was an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days, which sporadically erupted
(D) would be an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days that sporadically erupted
(E) was an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days, having sporadically erupted

OA is A

My question is [spoiler] the explanation says 'was' is correct and 'had been' is wrong because there is no two actions here. But, can 'Geologists once thought' be considered action-1 and 'molten rock an underground remnant' be considered action-2, and that action-2 happened before action-1. And hence we can also use 'had been'?
I understand the later part of the answer i.e., 'sporadically erupting' is correct and from that we can eliminate B, C D & E and hence arrive at A. But what if we had a choice exactly as A, but had 'had been' instead of 'was' ie.,
(A) was an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days, sporadically erupting
(B) had been an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days, sporadically erupting
Which one would you choose and why?
[/spoiler]

Question source: Manhattan

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by shulapa » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:55 pm
Hi Bravotalks,

This question actually requires a basic general knowledge. Without it, you could be right and the lava stopped to exist before the geologist theories about them. However, as lava still existed even when the scientiest created their idea, we are obligated to use either past simple.

Eyal

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:680

by bravotalks » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:01 pm
shulapa, I was kinda wondering whether I am missing something basic. Anyways, thanks for the clarification.

Legendary Member

by nervesofsteel » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:16 pm
Geologists once thought that the molten rock known as lava was an underground remnant of Earth's earliest days,

had been will be wrong in this case because

The bold phrase can help.. lava might have existed before geologists discovered that but .. Sentence says that They Once THOUGHT that LAVA is Underground remnant ... There is no time difference in both events...