Minivans

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Minivans

by Mayur Sand » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:07 pm
Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less, get better gas mileage, allow passengers to get in and out more easily, and have a smoother ride.

A.Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less,
B.Minivans, which carry as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles, they cost less,
C.Minivans carry as many as seven passengers, in comparison with most sport utility vehicles, and have a lower cost, they
D.Minivans, carrying as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less,
E.Minivans, which carry as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles the cost is lower, and they

OA D

GMAT Score:770

by raghavsarathy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:45 am
IMO - A

I am not comfortable with the "carrying" in D. I dont see any mistakes in A.

Experts kindly help..

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Kuhu » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:17 am
Although parallelism,idiom both are is perfect in D but I am clueless for 'carrying' need help.
@Raghavsarthy:I think comma after and i.e. (and, compared with ) is not correct construction. 'and compare with' is wrong idiom.
But i need reason for this 'Carrying' may be i do not know +ing tips very well.

Legendary Member

Re: Minivans

by ketkoag » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:30 am
Mayur Sand wrote:Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less, get better gas mileage, allow passengers to get in and out more easily, and have a smoother ride.

A.Minivans carry as many as seven passengers and, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less,

HERE IN A, THE PARALLELISM DOESN'T SEEMS TO BE OK.. SEE THE BOLD PART OF THE SENTENCE, CARRY....AND, COST... AND AFTER IT PARALLELISM CONTINUES THAT INCLUDES get, allow, AND have
SO this parallelism SEEMS WEIRD.. "carry..and, cost, get, allow, AND have"

B.Minivans, which carry as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles, they cost less,
C.Minivans carry as many as seven passengers, in comparison with most sport utility vehicles, and have a lower cost, they
D.Minivans, carrying as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles, cost less,

N D THE PARALLELISM IS CLEAR.. i.e.
cost, get, allow, AND have..

E.Minivans, which carry as many as seven passengers, compared with most sport utility vehicles the cost is lower, and they

OA D
nice question though.. whats the source??

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:11 pm
Received a PM asking me to respond. I would be happy to, but you need to list the author of the question first. Experts aren't supposed to respond if proper credit hasn't been given to the author. Please do so and let me know; then I'll respond!
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by goelmohit2002 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:37 am
Hi Stacey,

This is a Gprep Question...

i guess D can be kicked out because it is a comma + ing setup....

and comma + ing setup are supposed to modify entire clause....

which is not the case here.....

Can you please confirm....

Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:700

by capnx » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:21 pm
please double check the OA. I've googled the question, and on other forums they say the OA is A

links:
a good explanation here:
https://www.urch.com/forums/gmat-sentenc ... post650558
https://www.urch.com/forums/gmat-sentenc ... ngers.html
https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/min ... t6094.html

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by goelmohit2002 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:55 pm
yes OA is A...as per GPrep....

Can someone please confirm my reasoning for D as I posted above...again copy pasting the same...

================================================
i guess D can be kicked out because it is a comma + ing setup....

and comma + ing setup are supposed to modify entire clause....

which is not the case here.....

================================================

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by thailandvc » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:30 am
doesn't D imply that Minivans carrying 7 passengers cost less than SUV as oppose to when it is carrying less passengers or more?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:47 am
Thanks (for citing the source)!

Yeah, I really don't think the OA is D.

Original sentence:
Minivans carry <detail> and, <comparison marker>, A, B, C, and D (parallel details of comparison).

Nothing obviously wrong there. List of 4 items is properly parallel. Modifiers look okay so far. Let's check the other answers.

Vertical scan:

B, D, and E change the opening structure from subject verb (minivans carry) to subject modifier (using either ", which" or ", carrying"). We want a noun modifier, so we wouldn't use ", carrying." Eliminate D.

B and E are okay just as far as "minivans, which" but we did remove the main verb ("carry") when we made this modifier switch, so what's the main verb now? Searching B... there's no main verb to go with minivan. Eliminate B. Searching E... ditto - no main verb. Eliminate.

Left with A and C. Vertical scan. First difference is "and, compared" (in A) vs. ", in comparison" (in C). C moves the word "and" to after the comparison language ("and have a lower cost"). Interesting. What are we actually comparing? Minivans to SUVs. Oops - C says "passengers, in comparison with SUVs, and..." That makes the comparison between passengers and SUVs, not passengers and minivans. Eliminate C. (Also, C messes up the parallelism of the four items in the list - it basically removes the first item from the list and then creates a run-on sentence.)

A it is!
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me