Minimum 4 point GPA scale v/s my 10 point GPA: Do I qualify?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members
Hi,

Sorry for the awkward wording of the subject, I just couldn't frame a proper question within the word limit given for the subject field.

My question is, some B schools have mentioned minimum GPA on a 4 point scale as eligibility criteria. But I have a a GPA that is on a 10 point scale. How do I know whether I meet the application requirement or not?

Thank you.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:26 pm
That's why we're here - you can ask us! What was your GPA on the 10 point scale?
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

by sidceg » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:03 pm
Thank you for replying to this thread.

I have 6.13 GPA out of 10 from College of Engineering, Guindy, which is one of the top 'non IIT - non NIT' engineering colleges in India.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member

by CriticalSquareMBA » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:07 pm
Hey there,

You're quite welcome! What would be more useful is your percentage in the class - were you the top 10%? Top 20%?

Bhavik

Web | Facebook | Twitter

by sidceg » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:32 pm
That's a bit of a problem then I guess. I was in the last 5%. The first grade was I think 9.6 or 9.7 and there were a few dropouts too. The good thing is I survived but the bad thing is I was one among the last.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member

by CriticalSquareMBA » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:05 pm
So I have some bad news and some worse news.

The bad news is your statement regarding your school's prestige caught my attention immediately. Attending the top ranked school in Tier 3 isn't going to work in your favor. Essentially, the importance of rankings below IIT and NIT levels really diminishes - you're going against graduates from those schools and levels and that's all adcoms will care about.

The worse news is that being in the bottom 5% of a Tier 3 school's graduating class is going to compound your academics working against you. While it's impossible to say what your exact US based GPA would be, you're looking at a <2.5 which, to be honest, is weak. It's probably closer to a 2 than a 2.5. I suppose it's a plus you didn't fail out but you're applying to business schools - that's not the bar they're judging you at.

Now, I know absolutely nothing else about your profile so maybe you'll blow them out of the water and overcome this!

Bhavik

Web | Facebook | Twitter

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member

by CriticalSquareMBA » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:06 pm

The bad news is your statement regarding your school's prestige caught my attention immediately. Attending the top ranked school in Tier 3 isn't going to work in your favor. Essentially, the importance of rankings below IIT and NIT levels really diminishes - you're going against graduates from those schools and levels and that's all adcoms will care about.

The worse news is that being in the bottom 5% of a Tier 3 school's graduating class is going to compound your academics working against you. While it's impossible to say what your exact US based GPA would be, you're looking at a <2.5 which, to be honest, is weak. It's probably closer to a 2 than a 2.5. I suppose it's a plus you didn't fail out but you're applying to business schools - that's not the bar they're judging you at.

Now, I know absolutely nothing else about your profile so maybe you'll blow them out of the water and overcome this!

Bhavik

Web | Facebook | Twitter

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member

by CriticalSquareMBA » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:07 pm

Bhavik

Web | Facebook | Twitter

by sidceg » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:25 pm
I know I have done bad in my academics so I am not capitalizing much on it. I am trying to work on my GMAT scores (I have already given it thrice and will be giving it for the final time next month)and the highest I scored was a 590. Let's hope I will improve this time.

Regarding my work profile, I have 2 years of work ex in supply chain management and 1 year in tech. I have won couple of awards at work and got promoted once in the last two years.

Extra curricular activities: I am a enthusiast level photographer and do wedding photography and other photographic assignments, did some social media management for a couple of companies, was part of the college band, was a board member of a social club and took couple of other responsibilities in college

LORs: I have very good rapport with my clients and senior level employers and believe can get recommended pretty well for the quality of work I did for them.

The most important thing: I do not aim for the top 10 or 20 B schools. I do not have the goal to be a consultant, which is the most sought after post MBA goal. I want to work in supply chain in automobile industry or in a tech firm such as Amazon or Apple. And I am planning to apply only next year, by which I will have 4 years of work ex.

I am sorry this became an 'Evaluate my profile' thread :) But couldn't help it. My only blot on my application is my academics. I can't do anything about my past. So I am trying to improve my other aspects of my profile as much as I can.

by sidceg » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:30 pm
I know I have done bad in my academics so I am not capitalizing much on it. I am trying to work on my GMAT scores (I have already given it thrice and will be giving it for the final time next month)and the highest I scored was a 590. Let's hope I will improve this time.

Regarding my work profile, I have 2 years of work ex in supply chain management and 1 year in tech. I have won couple of awards at work and got promoted once in the last two years.

Extra curricular activities: I am a enthusiast level photographer and do wedding photography and other photographic assignments, did some social media management for a couple of companies, was part of the college band, was a board member of a social club and took couple of other responsibilities in college

LORs: I have very good rapport with my clients and senior level employers and believe can get recommended pretty well for the quality of work I did for them.

The most important thing: I do not aim for the top 10 or 20 B schools. I do not have the goal to be a consultant, which is the most sought after post MBA goal. I want to work in supply chain in automobile industry or in a tech firm such as Amazon or Apple. And I am planning to apply only next year, by which I will have 4 years of work ex.

I am sorry this became an 'Evaluate my profile' thread :) But couldn't help it. My only blot on my application is my academics. I can't do anything about my past. So I am trying to improve my other aspects of my profile as much as I can.