MGMAT test question

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

MGMAT test question

by Warlock007 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:39 am
Poor weather in early 14th-century Europe created meager harvests, causing the result of mass starvation in some areas and the elimination of as many as 15 percent of the population.

A causing the result of mass starvation in some areas and the elimination as many as

B causing the result of mass starvation in some areas and eliminating as much as

C resulting in mass starvation in some areas and the elimination of as much as

D and resulted in mass starvation in some areas and the elimination of as many as

E causing mass starvation in some areas and the elimination of as many as

what should be the correct answer please explain

by BellTheGMAT » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:35 am
Warlock007 wrote:Poor weather in early 14th-century Europe created meager harvests, causing the result of mass starvation in some areas and the elimination of as many as 15 percent of the population.

A causing the result of mass starvation in some areas and the elimination as many as

B causing the result of mass starvation in some areas and eliminating as much as

D and resulted in mass starvation in some areas and the elimination of as many as

Kindly quote the source of the ques....
IMO E - because

sounds as 2 different actions separated by and

causing is verb, and eliminating is noun - parallelism error
no parallelism

parallelism error

E causing mass starvation in some areas and the elimination of as many asparallelism between 2 nouns - mass starvation.... and elimination....

OA plz

by aspirant_gmat » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:47 am
Poor weather in early 14th-century Europe created meager harvests, causing the result of mass starvation in some areas and the elimination of as many as 15 percent of the population.

in A and B, 'causing the result' is redundant and wrong, and should be replaced by 'causing'. That's why A and B are out.

C- 'As much as' can't be used for population, it should have been 'as many as'.

D- 'the elimination of as many as' is wrong, should have been 'eliminated as many as...' to keep the parallelism.

So, E is the answer.

This is a cause and effect question where cause is normally followed by an action starting with 'verb + ing' form.

by Warlock007 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:56 am
BellTheGMAT wrote:
Warlock007 wrote:Poor weather in early 14th-century Europe created meager harvests, causing the result of mass starvation in some areas and the elimination of as many as 15 percent of the population.

IMO E - because

no parallelism

parallelism error

E causing mass starvation in some areas and the elimination of as many asparallelism between 2 nouns - mass starvation.... and elimination....

OA plz
Dear Bell the Gmat

as I wrote, this is a question from Mgmat test which i gave recently
E is not the answer
soon i will provide the OA
till somebody quotes the same
please bear with us till then

by BellTheGMAT » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:07 am
Warlock007 wrote:
BellTheGMAT wrote:

IMO E - because

no parallelism

parallelism error

OA plz
Dear Bell the Gmat

E is not the answer
ok, i got it wrong!!! i missed the difference on "as much as"; "as many as".... nd concentrated more on parallelism....
more details explanation is given on
https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/poo ... t3006.html

by Warlock007 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:06 am
BellTheGMAT wrote:
Warlock007 wrote:
BellTheGMAT wrote:

IMO E - because

no parallelism

parallelism error

OA plz
Dear Bell the Gmat

E is not the answer
ok, i got it wrong!!! i missed the difference on "as much as"; "as many as".... nd concentrated more on parallelism....
more details explanation is given on
https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/poo ... t3006.html
Even i though its countable

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by cyrwr1 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:02 pm
I'm going to say C as "resulting" follows "harvests," and starvation and elimination are parallel. Also, there is no definite number so "much" is used as the amount is up to 15%.

by highflier_2000 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:58 am
IMO its C.

Population , workforce.. (even though they can be actually counted) ..when referring to percentages is treated as non-count.. hence as much as ..

(according to the kaplan 800) recently was working through that book

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by pesfunk » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:15 am
15% of population is un-countable. Hence "as much as" is the right idiom.

Out of B and C, I'll chose C since B sounds very awkward with "causing the result of mass starvation"
highflier_2000 wrote:IMO its C.

Population , workforce.. (even though they can be actually counted) ..when referring to percentages is treated as non-count.. hence as much as ..

(according to the kaplan 800) recently was working through that book

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:55 am
I would also go with C because much is used for non countable things and over here 15% of population is mentioned, we dont know the figure of population.................wats the OA?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:22 am

Quickest approach:

Many should not be used to refer to collective nouns such as population. Eliminate A, D and E.

In B, causing the result is an error of redundancy. Eliminate B.

The correct answer is C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3