MGMAT CAT 1 CR

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

MGMAT CAT 1 CR

by mundasingh123 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:06 am
While political discourse and the media in the United States have focused on the rise of job outsourcing, few have mentioned the sharp fall of talent "insourcing," or the drop in enrollment of foreign-born graduate students since 2001, and its dire results. The decrease in such insourcing will hurt America's competitiveness in basic research and applied technology, with serious consequences for years to come. The de-internationalization of graduate programs across the country will also negatively affect the global outlook and experience of the American students remaining in those programs; they will not have the opportunity to learn about foreign cultures directly from members of those cultures. What distinguishes the decline of talent insourcing from the rise of job outsourcing is that the former can be easily rectified by a policy change of the United States government.

The answer to which of the following questions would be most useful in evaluating the author's claim regarding the impact of decreased insourcing in America?

A)What is the cost to reverse the trend of insourcing in America?

B)How does insourcing replace domestic jobs lost from outsourcing?

C)Since 2001, what has been the decrease in the number of foreign-born students in America?

D)What opportunities do American graduate students have to interact regularly with foreigners who are not students?

E)What effect would a government policy have on the number of foreign graduate students?

How do we eliminate C
The Please do not post IMO A/B/C/D/E
I will make your job simpler
OA D
I have no doubt that EDIT : OA is correct.
I want to know the reason that C is wrong.

The explanation for C is
(C) The focus of the argument is not on the specific numbers of foreign-born students, but on the decline in their number instead.
But C does discuss about decline in number
Last edited by mundasingh123 on Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by sandy217 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:28 am
The question stem asks about the impact of the decreased insourcing in America .
We know that insourcing is decreased in america.Knowing to what level it decreased is a bit irrelevant.
And on the contrary D analyses the impact.If the interaction with foreigners to study about their cultures is possible through non students.Impact of in-sourcing students will be lessened.

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:48 am
sandy217 wrote:The question stem asks about the impact of the decreased insourcing in America .
We know that insourcing is decreased in america.Knowing to what level it decreased is a bit irrelevant.
And on the contrary D analyses the impact.If the interaction with foreigners to study about their cultures is possible through non students.Impact of in-sourcing students will be lessened.
I can make out that C has been eliminated because the test makers consider C irrelevant . But what makes it irrelevant ?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by dinaroneo » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:35 pm
Correct me if I am wrong:
C only talks about how much is the decrease in the number of foreign born students, however this undermines the fact given by the author: "few have mentioned the sharp fall of talent "insourcing," or the drop in enrollment of foreign-born graduate students since 2001, and its dire results" but does not evaluate any effect on his claim about the effects of this fact statement! (And thats what the question is!)
(That means that you take it granted that the no has decreased sharply)

To me E also appears to be a very strong contender, however again like C it does not address "author's claim regarding the impact of decreased insourcing in America"

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:34 pm
Could you elaborate on however this undermines the fact given by the author

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by sandy217 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:42 pm
mundasingh123 wrote:
sandy217 wrote:The question stem asks about the impact of the decreased insourcing in America .
I can make out that C has been eliminated because the test makers consider C irrelevant . But what makes it irrelevant ?
When you have a better option available that alone can be the reason to eliminate C.This is the reason test makers plug in word "Most".
In the above post , i mentioned a reason y C is irrelevant. I never stated C is irrelevant just like that.If you are not convinced with the reasoning,You can point at the reasoning.

May be you can wait for experts to answer your doubt.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:52 am
Separate main conclusion and main evidence from NOISY INFORMATION which makes argument long and hard to understand is key first thing needed to do. This question is typical example of this. Ability to read is key for foreign student of gmat, not the logic of gmat simply because the logic of gmat, of SC and CR is not hard at all and more certainly never so hard that the logic makes those students fails after a long time of study. Read, every day, the new text which is similar to gmat text without many new words and with long sentences with rich ideas. choose the text from newspaper, magazine and fiction and non fiction books.