Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:670

MGMAT-addition

by uptowngirl92 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:57 pm
2 2
a 3
4 b
9 0 (This is an addition)

If a and b represent positive single digits in the correctly worked computation above, what is the value of the two digit integer ba?

a) 10
b) 15
c) 25
d) 51
e) 52

I got the correct values of B=5 and a=2.But missed this question as I couldnt make out whether they wanted the nos. just to be placed near each other or multiplied.Morovr..BOTH options result in a two digit integer.I chose A :shock:

Could somebody please clarify the wording of the question so that I don't do such a goof-up on the exam?!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Re: MGMAT-addition

by uttam.albela » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:48 am
uptowngirl92 wrote:2 2
a 3
4 b
9 0 (This is an addition)

If a and b represent positive single digits in the correctly worked computation above, what is the value of the two digit integer ba?

a) 10
b) 15
c) 25
d) 51
e) 52

I got the correct values of B=5 and a=2.But missed this question as I couldnt make out whether they wanted the nos. just to be placed near each other or multiplied.Morovr..BOTH options result in a two digit integer.I chose A :shock:

Could somebody please clarify the wording of the question so that I don't do such a goof-up on the exam?!
the question is asking for value of 2 digit integer ba. This integer ba has two digits b at tens place and a at unit place. So the value of two digit integer is b*10 + a*1

Hope this makes sense :)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by xcusemeplz2009 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:46 am
as far as i know gmat follows a standard rule ,

as per rule ba can not be assumed as b*a un less mentioned.

I guess GMAT will use the symbol or product word for any such operation.

so it has to be 52
It does not matter how many times you get knocked down , but how many times you get up