Medical Student wants a 700+

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Medical Student wants a 700+

by howingtonb08 » Sat May 14, 2011 1:12 pm
I'm half way through medical school but I want to pursue a MBA in the future. How should I organize my studying? I haven't taken any business courses, so these are baseline scores with no studying. I have 2-4 weeks prep time. How realistic is this? I can study 40-60hrs a week for the next couple of weeks. Any help is greatly appreciated. What books? How should I organize my study time? I've read a lot of info. on this site but I just wanted some direct feedback. Once again, thank you and good luck!!!

2 Practice exam scores
530-Q32 V24 Kaplan Exam(I loss 7-8 minutes on the verbal section. I thought the exam was paused.)
510-Q30 V30 Exam from the GMAT website

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Sat May 14, 2011 3:48 pm
You have 2 to 4 weeks?

The score that you got from the GMATPrep - this is the exam from the GMAT website - was 510. That is a little below the average score and a 700 is the 90th percentile.

A movement of 200 points is a very big deal and it is the sort of thing that you can read about in the forum - "I just beat the GMAT" on this website. People who move their scores by 200 points do so in months, not usually in weeks.

I am not trying to discourage you just want to let you know that for the most of humanity it takes some effort effort to get to a 700! It sounds like you are willing to give it a real shot and I for one think that you can get some big things done in 2 to 4 weeks (4 would be better than 2)...

In terms of priority if you are serious about taking the test in that short space of time here are some things that can help you to make the most drastic improvement:

1) Develop a technique for Data Sufficiency that allows you to address this unique question type effectively and efficiently. I recommend writing down key information and really understanding what it takes for the problem to be sufficient and then proceeding confidently and efficiently through the statements. A good data sufficiency strategy gives a huge payoff.

2) On Verbal attack the sentence correction first. Most people on this site will tell you that this can be improved more quickly than the other two verbal subjects. Sentence Correction questions are also the most numerous of the three types and can be done most quickly.

3) Next look into critical reasoning, I believe that this can be learned in a reasonable amount of time. If I can suggest a couple of things that I have written on the subject they are https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2011/02/ ... duncan-way and https://www.beatthegmat.com/how-to-know- ... tml#361676 (document attached to this posting has dozens of links to original questions and explanations).

4) In the meantime you should be brushing up on your Quant skills as you will need to know arithmetic, algebra, geometry and more.

5) If you need work in reading comprehension there are some easy things that you can do to improve your scores - let me know if you need any tips there.

Remember to try to keep your verbal abilities somewhat even between the three question types. If you are great at critical reasoning but not at sentence correction, you will not get to see the really high scoring critical reasoning questions because the verbal section adapts as a whole and your weaker areas will hold back the difficulty of your better areas.

This will sound funny but I was drawn to your user name. I live in a town called "Brownington" and your user name is "howington" -- Strange thing for me to think of, I know.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course