Medical research

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:600

Medical research

by Kelly » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:05 am
Frazier and Mosteller assert that medical resarch could be improved by a move toward larger, simpler clinical traicals of medical treatments. Currently, researchers collect far more background information on patients than is strictly required for their trials -substantially more than hospitals collect- thereby escalating costs of data collection, storage, and analysis. Although limiting information coellection could increase the risk that reserchers will overlook facts relevant to a study, Frazier and Mosteller contend that such rick, never entirely eliminable from research, would still be small in most studies. Only in research on entirely new treatments are new and unexpected variables likely to arise.
Frazier and Mosteller propose not only that resarchers limit data collection on individual pationts but also that researchers enroll more pationts in clinical trials, therby optaining a more representative sample of the total population to pationts who have no ailments besides those being studied. A treatment judged successful under these ideal conditions can then be evaluated under normal conditions. Broadening the range of trial participants, Frazier and Mosteller suggest, would enable researchers to evaluate a treatment's efficacy for fiverse pationts under various conditions and to evaluate its effectiveness for different patient subgroups. Fro example, the value of a treatment for a progressive disease may vary according to a patient's stage of disease. Pationts' ages may also affect a treatment's efficay.

1. According to the passage, Frazier and Mosteller believe which of the following about medical research?

A) It is seriously flawed as presently conducted because researchers overlook facts that are relevant to the subject of their research.
B) It tends to benefit certain subgroups of pationts disproportionately.
C) It routinely reveals new variables in research on entriely new treatments.
D) It can be made more accurate by limiting the amount of information researchers collect.
E) It cannot be freed of the risk that signigicant variables may be overlooked.

I answered as [spoiler]D but, the right answer was [spoiler]B.
[/spoiler]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:800

by Jose Ferreira » Fri May 01, 2009 5:16 am
It seems to me that the answer you picked, Answer D, can be eliminated based on the structure of the first paragraph. We are told that, indeed, F and M want to limit the amount of data taken, but they want to do so in order to cut down on unnecessary spending. Additionally, F and M seem to acknowledge that there will be risks, a negative associated having with less data. There is no causal link between taking less information and being more accurate. This answer choice is subtle but wrong.

Meanwhile, the second paragraph tells us F and M want to utilize a more representative portion of the population in order to improve the "effectiveness" of treating certain ailments. This idea is nicely represented in the correct answer, Answer choice B.
Jose Ferreira
Founder and CEO, Knewton, Inc.
https://www.knewton.com/gmat

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by navami » Mon May 09, 2011 7:26 am
very old thread, but can anyone explain why not E? Last couple of lines of first paragraph says the same.
This time no looking back!!!
Navami

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by vikram4689 » Mon May 09, 2011 8:43 am
Though i also choose E, i think the reason it is incorrect is that E talks about variables whereas passage talks about risks that may not entirely elliminable.
Premise: If you like my post
Conclusion : Press the Thanks Button ;)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by saxenashobhit » Sun May 15, 2011 1:57 pm
I also selected E. I don't see that author suggest special benefits to sub-group who are part of the medical research.

1st para's last line seem to suggest that gathering data can never be accurate which means that risk of ignoring information always exist

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by smackmartine » Sun May 15, 2011 2:19 pm
If I were to answer this question in a time crunch , I would go with B for the following reasons.

A) seriously flawed
B) tends to benefit
C) routinely reveals ----> (passage says unexpected variables arises during new treatments)
D) more accurate
E) cannot be freed

All incorrect choices have some extreme language, which GMAT does n't prefer unless it is supported by the passage.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by vikram4689 » Sun May 15, 2011 4:25 pm
I think problem with C is that it mentions "routinely" where as passage does not mentions anything about the frequency of revealing.
smackmartine: seems you are relating "routinely" with "unexpected" however they are are used in different context, unexpected here is not used as a indicator of frequency but to show that reaseach reveals some variables which were not expected.

In E, passage states that risks originating from reducing the variables cannot be eliminated. However, E says that research cannot be freed of the risk that significant variables may be overlooked. Subtle change in meaning.

B is the only option left but i am not able to completely comprehend the role of "disproportionately". I know it means "out of proportion" or "excessive" but how it is related in the passage. I have requested Ron to share his views.
Premise: If you like my post
Conclusion : Press the Thanks Button ;)

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by smackmartine » Sun May 15, 2011 4:39 pm
vikram4689 wrote:I think problem with C is that it mentions "routinely" where as passage does not mentions anything about the frequency of revealing.
smackmartine: seems you are relating "routinely" with "unexpected" however they are are used in different context, unexpected here is not used as a indicator of frequency but to show that reaseach reveals some variables which were not expected.

In E, passage states that risks originating from reducing the variables cannot be eliminated. However, E says that research cannot be freed of the risk that significant variables may be overlooked. Subtle change in meaning.

B is the only option left but i am not able to completely comprehend the role of "disproportionately". I know it means "out of proportion" or "excessive" but how it is related in the passage. I have requested Ron to share his views.
You are correct.

But remember I mentioned that if I were under time crunch , say 1 min to go! I would go with sentence which is neutral in tone ,and I would avoid all extreme answers.I have highlighted only extreme words. I did not even highlight option C because I knew I may be missing some point. Whatever I mentioned was more from guessing perspective. An expert and many others have already given their expert comments.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Wed May 18, 2011 12:50 am
vikram4689 wrote:I think problem with C is that it mentions "routinely" where as passage does not mentions anything about the frequency of revealing.

there's a relatively technical term in the passage that you must know in order to answer this question correctly: "representative sample".

a "representative sample" means a statistical sample that represents all sub-groups of a population fairly. for instance, if one were conducting a political poll prior to an election, then a "representative sample" would have the %'s of people who hold varying political beliefs (as well as other relevant factors such as age, race, GMAT, income, nationality, etc.) in the same proportions as they occur in the actual voting population.

the second paragraph proposes a means to "obtain a more representative sample of the total population", thus implying that the current sample is not representative.
a "non-representative sample" is the same thing as a sample that contains the wrong proportions of certain subgroups, so (b) is correct.

--

by the way, the transcription of this passage has some pretty serious errors in it; you may want to look up the passage in another source (e.g., google a selection of words) in order to find a version that doesn't contain multiple spelling errors and non-words.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron