Medic Profile

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Medic Profile

by wharton hopeful » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:42 am
Hi Stacey/ Amy

First of all, thanks for having a look at this for me. I recently had a look at the services your company provides for mba applicants, it was impressive and the testamonials were very helpful. I look forward to receiving the feedback for my essays (thats the package i decided to go with, i would have loved the comprehensive package but alas with all the gmat and application fees i have overspent:)!

So, i am 33 F, medical doctor in the UK
High GPA ( honors in several modules/ subjects)
but GMAT 640, q-41, v-38
10 years work experience in Africa and the UK

I wanted to apply to some top 10 schools in round 2. I know my gmat score is at the very bottom of these schools average, but i was reading that the range the schools quote is usually the average for 80% of the class, and the other 20% are outliers either side... This is my second gmat attempt (1st a month ago was 560) and i dont really want to do it a 3rd time, and i dont have enough time anyway!
What do you think?

Thanks

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:48 pm
Hi wharton hopeful,

Yes, it's true that the 80% range does allow some outliers, and GMAT is certainly not the most important part of your application. It sounds like you are realistic about your chances, and if you can manage your expectations I think it is worth trying for your dream schools. If you need to attend school next fall, I would advise adding in some lesser ranked options - especially as this is a very competive year.

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Thanks

by wharton hopeful » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:10 am
Hi

Thanks Amy. I have decided to get my GMAT score up, and postpone business school for a year. I want to go to one of the top schools- if i am going to take 2 years off work i want to make the most of it, and gain as much as i can from the program. After giving it some thought (like you said), i need to submit the best application possible, i dont want my gmat score to bring me down! I also heard that schools dont look too favourably on reapplicants? is that true?
Thanks for your advice.

wharton hopeful

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:48 am
Hi Wharton Hopeful,

No, that is not true. Reapplicants are not disadvantaged in the process. Reapplying without making significant improvements in your application likely won't help, but overall you have the same chances. Wharton is especially friendly to reapplicants in terms of offering feedback, etc.

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting