Me vs GMAT resulted in a draw

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Me vs GMAT resulted in a draw

by coolguy55220 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:32 pm
hey guys
Just came from my first GMAT test... i got a 640(44Q,33V)... This is the type of score i did not want, my goal was 670+, and anything below 630 i would def. retake the test... But im stuck with 640... which is on the edge of the type of schools i was looking at... Georgetown, u of maryland, BC, Babson type of schools...

I have been out of college for bout 3-4 years so i started off by taking the kaplan course. When i started the course, i was getting 530-550. After the class ended, i was still not getting good scores, but then i got busy with work. So few months later i asked Kaplan to extend my online portion of the class so i can finish my CATS. So past 2 months i have studied and taken all the practice tests and i have gotten a 640.
I graduated from Uni of Mass with CIS degree. But i did not want to get a CIS related job once i was done. Instead i started managing my family businesses, which is what i have been doing for the past 4 years.

What do you guys suggest?
1) Should i get the applications going and send them out, or retake the test? I really want to go to Georgetown. I was going to think about Uni of chicago, or northwestern if i got 700+.
2) Prep some more, and aim for 670-710 type of score, I think i can get a 670 next time by preparing for the verbal section more... I was getting 33-35 on the verbal on the practice test.
Ironically, all of whole last week, i fixed my Quant weaknesses (probability, permutation/combination, work/rate) and i did not get any of those types of questions on the test...

Should i consider taking the advanced kaplan course which is supposed to be geared more towards people who have scored around 650? or consider taking a course from a different group like MGMAT.

Thank you for ur input!!!
Last edited by coolguy55220 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Guru-G » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:05 pm
Hello Friend,

I am even I gave my GMAT today and scored 620 (48Q, 27V) I dont know what to do.. but unlike urs, mine was third attempt and I have exhausted almost all materials.. Where are u located my friend I mean where in USA

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by coolguy55220 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:19 pm
I am in boston, MA... it seems like your Q is fine, u should def. take it 1 more time and put all the work into a verbal. Verbal is not that hard to figure out, i understand ur in india(just guessing - btw if ur in india, where u from?) but learning some of the rules + tricks better will really help you out. I've also noticed that 1 pt difference in ur verbal makes a bigger impact on ur score than 1 pt difference in ur Q because many people score high on the Q. Few point improvement in ur verbal will get your score in the range you want it, hopefully.