MBA - To do or not to do

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

MBA - To do or not to do

by mathan » Mon May 26, 2008 9:11 pm
All,

I have posted earlier in other forums and finally i think i now know what question to ask !!! It is simply to or not to do the MBA.
Let me phrase my questions and ask you directly the following:

I am currrently at the lower-middle management of my IT company ie a Project Manager. I have 10 years of IT experience and 32 is my age.I earn about 12,00,000 + (Indian Rupees) p.a . I am already seeing a lot of saturation in the industry as well as in my company in terms of upward growth.So my questions are:

1. Would a GMAT+MBA take me to the next steps in my company faster and higher?

2. Doing a MBA abroad for 2 year, is it worth the time and money? I am aware that Europe & Aus is expensive in terms of living etc, so the real danger for me is, after spending so much would I actually be in a position to come back to this IT industry and see a real jump in my career and also in terms of money?

3) Can I do a MBA which, in case, things dont work out in IT, would keep me in the race in some other sector, say Finance. What do you recommend? I have a BS(Computer Science).

These questions are confusing and I am just not able to make up my mind. The question is actually simple, need to go higher faster but how and is it the right way?

Please advise.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Tue May 27, 2008 11:53 am
Hi Mathan,

I guess a lot of your decision depends on your career goals. Do you wish to stay in IT and/or with the same company? Or are you interested in switching into a new field (i.e. finance, consulting).

If you are interested in making a change, then I would argue that an MBA makes a lot of sense for you.

However, if you are interested in staying in IT (in your current function) or with the same company - its difficult to assess. Do you feel that employees in your company with an MBA have greater upward mobility?

Like any higher degree - the MBA is a worthwhile one. But a lot depends on how you use your education post-graduation.

Regards,

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep