MBA profile evaluation...

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:15 pm
Hi NuclearAttacker,

I would suggest gaining some professional experience before pursuing an MBA. You'll be in a better position in the admissions pool if you are able to prove your business skills, especially in light of a fairly low GMAT, and I think it will help you tremendously to refine your career goals. A huge part of the admissions process is knowing what you want to do and clearly articulating your career goals.

I believe you do not need an MBA to be a CPA, in fact Accounting is not a typical MBA career path. Pursuing a certificate in Accounting instead, or taking CPA prep classes to pass the exam may be a better strategy for you. I would suggest applying to accounting consulting firms in the meantime, to gain real world experience in the industry.

If you do decide to pursue an MBA, your major in undergraduate is not an issue. And you should not use academic references, professional references are specifically required.

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:12 pm
Hi NuclearAttacker,

From what I understand, you are looking for accounting classes to help you prepare for your CPA exam. It sounds like an MBA is one of a few options for you, because I believe you can pursue an accounting specific MA degree.

I think a program like NYU Stern would be overkill for you, the classes are most important to your goal and the other aspects like recruiting and networking are not going to have the same level of significance for you. I think the school list you have mentioned seems more reasonable and fits your goals.

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting